Posted Today, 06:20 PM
I have scoured the internet looking for as much info as possible to get my YZ450 EFI to handle properly. I am finally close. I will list every modification starting with the most important first, ending with the least important
1) Rekluse clutch... best mod, I can lock it up sliding into a corner without my hand on the clutch, no engine stalling. I can climb up anything anybody else can, without my hand on the clutch, as slow as I want. This mod alone eliminates the need for larger sprocket and electric engine start, (if there was such a mod)
2) Remapped for woods riding, lots of low end, very important
3) Get your suspension set up right, really really makes a huge difference.
4) Flywheel weight, noticeable with the remapping
6) Keep sharp tires on, I use michelin S12 XC. The front tire knobs are turned 45 degrees on the extreme edge so they don't fold over and break like so many others. The rear are as good as any other I suppose, its seems the knobs stay square longer and I can climb sloppy clay when they are new
6) Engine relocation bushings... just put them on and they are coming right back off. Maybe I need to redo my suspension after this mod, I don't know but I went down three times yesterday, once hard over the bars, I don't like them.
I'm older so its important for me to have the best I can so I can keep up with my sons. They are both faster than me but not by much. I dread the day that they won't want to ride with me cause I'll be too slow.
I've seen a lot of posts saying, "get rid of your motocrosser and get a woods bike". Well, I like my bike better than a WR. Its lighter, has more power and the only spendy modification is the rekluse clutch. I think I have less than a $1000 to make it a real woods bike, Its around $10,000 for a new KTM