Steering Damper Installation?

3 replies to this topic
  • John_H

Posted May 13, 2001 - 03:32 AM

I'm going to buy a Scott's. Since I don't weld, thought I'd get the clamp on post. Wondering if the weld on is really any better?

Posted May 13, 2001 - 05:24 AM

John, I installed the clamp-on version on my 00WR400 and so far have not had any problems with it. It is a piece of cake. Just check the fit of the clamp on your steering post. Check for excessive welding spatter or high spots. If you have some, file them down and re-check the clamp again. The clamp should be able to go all the way down and rest on the inside lip of the clamp. Check to make sure that it sits squarly and tighten it. There is not a lot of stress placed on the clamp by the dampner itself, so the only risk is if the clamp is not well seated and torked down it could vibrate or get knocked loose. Since I have had mine installed, my bike has been dumped, dragged, pulled and pushed over stuff and, ridden hard without a glitch of any kind. Good Luck! P.S. You will love it!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ400Court

Posted May 13, 2001 - 12:40 PM

My YZ-400 has the origunal bolt on kit for the 98 model It bolts to the oil filler tube, kinda like the XR's do, but the oil filler cap remains in place. It would never stay put, so I welded it in place. My KTM 520 has the new style bolt on kit, aroung the steering stem. It work's great. The weld on post is no better, and sure does suck if it breaks, and yes sometimes they break.
The new style bolt on is the only way to go.

Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

[This message has been edited by YZ400Court (edited 05-13-2001).]

• John_H

Posted May 13, 2001 - 10:31 PM

Thanks for the info, that's what I needed to know. Bolt on it is.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.