WR450F Supermoto, Old vs New?

Yamaha WR450F

27 replies to this topic
  • MtnDrew

Posted May 06, 2016 - 01:40 PM

The green sticker doesn't matter one way or the other.   It's not the federal emission sticker to make the bike able to be plated in California.   There is a federal emission sticker on 50 state bikes stating that they meet the requirements for street legal use in all 50 states,  no WR450 will have it.   My friend John called DMV HQ and talked to the main guy that interprets their regs,  a previously green stickered bike is not a disqualification for the " loophole " that we use to get a plated bike with more than 7500 miles from out of state transferred into California,  as long as it " left " the state and came back in the regs apply.  The 7500 mile loophole was written so folks couldn't buy a new vehicle from out of state to avoid state taxes on the purchase,  when it was written there was still 49 state cars and California compliant vehicles.   At the time the regs were written California had just lost a court case where they were charging owners of 49 state cars more money on their registrations and renewals because they polluted more ( lol ),  they had to give the excess money back to the people,  so when the new regs were written they included a clause for 49 state vehicles and that is the one we use to transfer a bike into California.   The law states ( regs )   Street legal and registered in another state AND more than 7500 miles on the odometer an emission compliance sticker is not required.

That being said,   you may run into a DMV jackwad who doesn't know the law and denies you because he wants to see the sticker,  don't throw a big fit or get argumentative (  you are dealing with a government monkey, they don't &%$#@!ing care ) just go to a different DMV.

Ok, I really appreciate all the info. I think I might go ahead and try this once I think i'm ready. 

• MtnDrew

Posted May 07, 2016 - 10:11 AM

The green sticker doesn't matter one way or the other.   It's not the federal emission sticker to make the bike able to be plated in California.   There is a federal emission sticker on 50 state bikes stating that they meet the requirements for street legal use in all 50 states,  no WR450 will have it.   My friend John called DMV HQ and talked to the main guy that interprets their regs,  a previously green stickered bike is not a disqualification for the " loophole " that we use to get a plated bike with more than 7500 miles from out of state transferred into California,  as long as it " left " the state and came back in the regs apply.  The 7500 mile loophole was written so folks couldn't buy a new vehicle from out of state to avoid state taxes on the purchase,  when it was written there was still 49 state cars and California compliant vehicles.   At the time the regs were written California had just lost a court case where they were charging owners of 49 state cars more money on their registrations and renewals because they polluted more ( lol ),  they had to give the excess money back to the people,  so when the new regs were written they included a clause for 49 state vehicles and that is the one we use to transfer a bike into California.   The law states ( regs )   Street legal and registered in another state AND more than 7500 miles on the odometer an emission compliance sticker is not required.

That being said,   you may run into a DMV jackwad who doesn't know the law and denies you because he wants to see the sticker,  don't throw a big fit or get argumentative (  you are dealing with a government monkey, they don't &%$#@!ing care ) just go to a different DMV.

Hey Pinepig, sorry to bring back life to this post but I wanted to ask you one more question. Once I do buy a dirt bike, do I register it and transfer the title to my name in California first? And then proceed to transfer it to SD? I assume you will have to get the title in your name. Or do I do that to SD? When you bought your WR what did you do?

• Pinepig

Posted May 07, 2016 - 12:24 PM

Do it all in one shot through South Dakota,  that's how I did mine, transfer and reg.   Better to only pay once and not have to wait on Cali to send you a pink slip.

• MtnDrew

Posted May 07, 2016 - 12:54 PM

Do it all in one shot through South Dakota,  that's how I did mine, transfer and reg.   Better to only pay once and not have to wait on Cali to send you a pink slip.

Thanks again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toten

Posted May 07, 2016 - 04:01 PM

I agree, go straight to SD. Does anyone have experience with it going from your name out of state to your name in state? I could imagine them being unhappy with that.

• Pinepig

Posted May 07, 2016 - 05:06 PM

I agree, go straight to SD. Does anyone have experience with it going from your name out of state to your name in state? I could imagine them being unhappy with that.

We have several guys in our riding group who have done it,   A couple of RMZs,  A few WR450s,  an ape 550 and a husaberg fe650.   

It works,

• MtnDrew

Posted May 08, 2016 - 08:57 AM

We have several guys in our riding group who have done it, A couple of RMZs, A few WR450s, an ape 550 and a husaberg fe650.

It works,

Has anyone from your group successfully transfered a SD plate to California? Because that's the part I'm worried about the most. These DMV employees probably won't know the law about this so it's going to be up to you to explain the whole 7500 miles thing correct?

• Pinepig

Posted May 08, 2016 - 11:10 AM

Has anyone from your group successfully transfered a SD plate to California? Because that's the part I'm worried about the most. These DMV employees probably won't know the law about this so it's going to be up to you to explain the whole 7500 miles thing correct?

They know about the 7500 mile thing,  they just sometimes want to throw EXTRA requirements in, like the emission sticker.   The Ape 550,  a WR450 and a RMZ were all bought without a plate,  plated in SD and then transferred to California.   Some others were bought out of state plated ( 2 Nevada,  1 Oregon, 1 Arizona ) and then transferred to California as soon as they were brought in.   Preston who owns the Ape regged it in California as a green sticker dirt bike then had the the title transferred to SD to get the plate on it only long enough to get the pink from SD and then went down and transferred it to California.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

any reason why to get new Beta 450rr instead of wr450f ? by motf

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  80 replies
Wiki
Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods - last post by Super_Davee

Show Us You 2016 WR450f & Mods

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

The Teanaway is no BS! by Nuklhed

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

New to the SM world by Kegger_92

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   SuperMoto
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.