engine oil question

8 replies to this topic
  • gal

Posted March 25, 2002 - 04:56 AM

a friend told me he got 10w/40 sj oil called 'delphy' which is a semi sintetic oil made in england. the price is less then half the price of other make and its not specified for motorcycles but for any modern car n motorcycle.
do u think its safe to give it a try? i change the engine oil after every 4 rides (300 km).

• gal

Posted March 26, 2002 - 05:47 AM

what is sj ?
i though of moving to a cheaper oil and change the oil more friquently...

• John_Lorenz

Posted March 26, 2002 - 05:51 AM

:) First off
Dont Buy anything from the Brits ?

Search for oil in the threads plenty of dicision making info there. Oil is personal Prefreance, Just make sure if you do get Synthetic that it is not energy absorbing. Some people here like Mobile 1, I like Castrol Actevo 20-50. Others like other oil, it is what you are comfortable with.

Yamalube is a good oil cheep and can be changed often enough

This is the only thing I found regarding Delphy Oil From England, I did a search for delphy oil in google and came up with this. Search for Oil

Intresting Peice

[ March 26, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

[ March 26, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• dirtdad

Posted March 26, 2002 - 06:38 AM

gal, go here: http://www.yft.org/t...fr/tech/oil.htm

that article should answer most of you questions.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted March 26, 2002 - 07:41 AM

There are a couple of guys running delvac, one guy on here went nuts with his research, basically found out that they put the same stuff in a lot of different bottles. Do an oil search on this site, youll have plenty of reading.

• RichB

Posted March 26, 2002 - 08:33 AM

Shawn I may be the "nut" you were referring to :) , I don't know if that's a back-handed compliment or what...... I didn't think I went crazy doing research but the stuff I did look into coupled with the info from Mike Gillory (see link above) I concluded you could safely run about anything as long as you change it freqently.

• John_Lorenz

Posted March 26, 2002 - 08:38 AM

Your Right the ones who are nuts are the guys who buy the Stuff from Andy's recycled Oil and Fish Market. No Those guys are nuts :)

• Ga426owner

Posted March 26, 2002 - 09:53 AM

You mean, I can not use fish oil? The stuff works awesome!!!!!!!!

• MX_Tuner

Posted March 26, 2002 - 03:39 PM

UGH! Dave, not fish oil. You must use "whale oil". It's one step better than snake oil.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.