Redid counter shaft seal, still leaks

3 replies to this topic
  • Northern Pride

Posted May 01, 2016 - 02:29 AM

Hey guys
I redid the counter shaft seal on my 08 450 and it still leaks, i must have messed up the seal in the install. Any tips on this install? Can i lay the bike on its side so i dont have to drain the new oil?

Also the kit came with 2 o rings but i could only find where 1 went, i replaced the one on the shaft behind the metal sleve. Is the 2nd one extra or did i miss where it went?

Edited by Northern Pride, May 01, 2016 - 02:47 AM.

• GuyGraham

Posted May 01, 2016 - 07:54 AM

Did you put the spacer on the shaft then fit the seal?

If you did it the other way round you can damage the seal with the sharp edge on the spacer

Only one o-ring and it fits on the id of the spacer

Fit it to the spacer, add a little oil and push it onto the shaft, then fit the seal

No need to drain oil when changing this seal

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Northern Pride

Posted May 01, 2016 - 08:05 AM

No i put the o ring in the shaft then put the seal in then the spacer.
So spacer 1st then seal. I dont understand what you mean about o ring. Just put it on the shaft first?

• GuyGraham

Posted May 01, 2016 - 09:01 AM

Might be confusing the WR with the DRZ

I know DRZ has groove in the spacer for the o-ring, can't remember the exact design of the WR

If the spacer has a groove for the o-ring in the ID of the spacer, then fit the o-ring into the groove and then fit them both to the shaft. Apply some oil to help it slide on

The side with the two cut-outs on the spacer goes on first

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.