Problem 04 Wr450

10 replies to this topic
  • Baja trail Rider

Posted April 29, 2016 - 06:56 AM

Hey guys we have a 04 wr450 we got used. It had a bad aftermarket stator,reg . We replaced it year ago with a Ricky stator and new battery. It has been fine for about 15 rides.Last week on 3 day ride, battery went dead on day two. So we had to kick start,after 4 hours.Would only run at 1/4 throttle,pulled main jet. Checked no problem there. Got bike back,put battery on slow charge. Charged it up in 4 hours, runs perfect. We will check charging. Does it need battery to run this bike?

• toten

Posted April 29, 2016 - 08:56 AM

Mine's an 03, and the harness is pretty ugly so I can't say for sure that it's how it should be or matches yours, but...

On mine, ignition runs off the DC side, so if the battery is entirely dead you can't kick start it. If you're riding and somehow drain the battery enough, ignition will eventually start cutting out. On mine, the lights are wired on the DC side (stock they run AC), and at first they would drain the battery (because DC side isn't designed to run them). It would run fine at low rpm and small throttle position, but if you opened the throttle very far it would start cutting out. This sounds like similar symptoms to yours. Your reason for a dead battery is likely different, though.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted April 29, 2016 - 07:58 PM

With the dead battery,it does kick start. Runs only 1/4 throttle then cuts out like yours. So then hopefully fix charging problem again,then Ok.

• patrack92314

Posted April 29, 2016 - 10:04 PM

My friends 08 wr did that when his stator was not charging enough . We put a trail tech one in and it's been great for 3 years now

• toten

Posted April 30, 2016 - 07:15 AM

It depends on quite how dead it is, it can get pretty low and still get started, it's only if it's really really dead that it wouldn't for me (managed to leave the ignition switch on for a week). 

I'd suggest checking battery voltage with the bike running. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Baja trail Rider

Posted April 30, 2016 - 12:26 PM

It depends on quite how dead it is, it can get pretty low and still get started, it's only if it's really really dead that it wouldn't for me (managed to leave the ignition switch on for a week). 

I'd suggest checking battery voltage with the bike running. 

Yes next step check charging. Im still surprised that the wr needs battery to stay running. On my other bike CRF230f I pulled battery cables while running. It was ok like that. Thanks for advice on Wrs

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted May 02, 2016 - 12:59 AM

With the aftermarket stator the battery has to be good or the engine runs poorly as you observed. Found this out the hard way.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted May 02, 2016 - 06:29 AM

Thanks Jim.

• JVP

Posted May 03, 2016 - 09:21 AM

Check the fuse at the Starter Relay.  If it blown, the bike will only run about quarter throttle and backfire.  Also, up the voltage on the rectifier.  I spoke to the peeps at Ricky Stator in the past and they said the voltage can be a little low at the factor setting.  After you get the voltage correct, put a little nail polish or paint on the pot to keep it in place.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted May 04, 2016 - 07:48 AM

Thank you JVP will report findings.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted May 09, 2016 - 06:47 PM

Problem battery not charging. Was bad connection ( non Yamaha wire plug). Will run it a day to make sure. Thanks for help guys.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.