HRC power-up kit

7 replies to this topic
  • RidesRed

Posted March 10, 2004 - 03:58 PM

Does the cam in the HRC power-up kit retain the auto-decompressor?

• mountainrider

Posted December 10, 2004 - 06:05 PM

If you are talking about the L model yes it does. :cry:

• qadsan

Posted December 10, 2004 - 07:27 PM

Yes for the R too.

• smashinz2002

Posted December 10, 2004 - 09:07 PM

What does the cam in the HRC kit do for the power delivery?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted December 10, 2004 - 10:09 PM

I don't have the exact dyno details handy, but I believe the HRC cam is more of a mid range cam that also shows some improvement in the top end. I've read where team Honda often uses the HRC cam without the high compression piston.

The HRC cam PN# 14000-NLB-000 is rather costly at $526.13 and requires the use of the HRC cam chain PN# 14401-nlb-003 which has a retail price of $120.98. You'll also need the timing sprocket PN# 14312-nlb-000 which carries a retail price of $100.51, a cam sprocket PN# 14321-nlb-000 which also retails for $100.51 and the tension lifter assembly PN# 14520-nlb-003 which also happens to retail for $100.51 :cry: If you don't mind living without the auto decompressor, you could buy a HotCam for ~$150 :cry:

Here's part of the text from an interesting article concerning how the Honda Off Road Team builds Baja bikes.

http://www.hondaredr...&Type=OR&bhcp=1

An HRC Power-Up Kit (available through all Honda Dealers, Part Number 06130-NLB-010) is the star of this show, but many times the team will elect to use only a portion of the kit. The kit’s heavy-duty clutch springs, cam chain (plus corresponding sprockets and tensioner), high-performance cam and appropriate jetting (as well as additional breather holes in the airbox cover—though the stock filter and backfire screen are retained) are used for all events. The kit also includes specs for an exhaust system, and Pro Circuit’s full T4 system complies and is used by the team.
When conditions demand more power, Campbell employs the kit’s high-compression piston as well as minor porting of the head to help bring out the optimum power characteristics for specific racing applications. Unless the high-compression piston is used, however, the team runs stock porting.

“We really like the way the engine runs using the stock piston and stock compression,” says Campbell. “We can run that motor for tens of thousands of miles, no problem.” And with 15/47 gearing, compared to the stock 14/48, Campbell’s Baja bike will nudge 115 mph.

“It’s a pretty simple engine package,” he points out. No balanced cranks, no shot-peened gears or other tricks are necessary. “The bike’s proven itself over and over,” says Campbell. “The bottom end was built for more than 70 horsepower, and we’ve never been able to get that much out of our bikes,” he laughs. (Campbell admits to getting 60+ horsepower out of the full-kit motors.)

• mountainrider

Posted December 11, 2004 - 12:45 PM

I did not know you had to have all that for the HRC cam.Thanks for the info.I am wanting to cam my L up but just do not know what cam to buy.Some riders claim that the hotcams do not last.

• qadsan

Posted December 11, 2004 - 02:04 PM

Some riders claim that the hotcams do not last.

I've had good luck with them and I know I'm not the only one who has. HotCams are made from high grade tool steel of a billet design where as other cams such as MegaCycle, WebCam, etc, are ground for trueness and rewelded for higher lift & longer duration. These cams require the followers to also be hard welded or else things will wear quickly, but the HotCam works with the existing valve train components as long as they're in good shape (valve springs within spec, etc). I'm planning to buy another HotCam for one of our other bikes and feel comfortable that its a high quality product.

• mountainrider

Posted December 11, 2004 - 02:20 PM

I've had good luck with them and I know I'm not the only one who has. HotCams are made from high grade tool steel of a billet design where as other cams such as MegaCycle, WebCam, etc, are ground for trueness and rewelded for higher lift & longer duration. These cams require the followers to also be hard welded or else things will wear quickly, but the HotCam works with the existing valve train components as long as they're in good shape (valve springs within spec, etc). I'm planning to buy another HotCam for one of our other bikes and feel comfortable that its a high quality product.

Thanks for the reply. :cry:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.