Reed keenly anticipating Grand Prix return

19 hours ago

http://www.mxgp.com/news/reed-keenly-anticipating-grand-prix-return

MONACO, (Principality of Monaco) 28 April 2016 - A lot of water has passed under the bridge since one of supercross and motocross’ greatest riders last lined up in a Grand Prix gate but 34 year old Chad Reed is ready to wade back into the MXGP frame with two wild-card appearances on his factory Yamaha during the 2016 FIM MXGP Motocross World Championship campaign. The Australian has penned the British Grand Prix at Matterley Basin (Winchester) on June 18-19 and the Grand Prix of Lombardia - Italy at Mantova on June 25-26 to make his ‘debut’ in MXGP and first competitive run in Europe (Motocross of Nations outings for Australia aside) since 2001.

Reed, father of two, competed for a single year in Grand Prix at the start of the century for the team that is now Monster Energy Kawasaki and on works machinery. Then 19 years old Chad shocked the establishment by finishing second in the world, won a (250cc) Grand Prix through the bumpy sand of Lierop and then moved to America to seek – and celebrate – fame and fortune on stadium tracks and through Pro National MX.

The veteran of fifteen seasons of supercross is approaching the end of the 2016 Monster Energy AMA term (only events in New Jersey and Las Vegas to go) and has identified the sweeping curves of Matterley Basin and the shallow sand of Mantova as the best settings to compete in front of his fans on the other side of the Atlantic.

“I have always valued my one and only year in Europe and I'm so excited to come back after all these years,” he said. “I briefly mentioned it on social media and many UK and European fans have shown lots of enthusiasm so that in return makes it a ton of fun for me.”

Reed will surely count on the backing of the current reigning champions Monster Energy Yamaha Factory Racing and will have a YZ450F prepped for his return to the fray. Fans of the ‘22’ will remember well his gripping duel with Tony Cairoli at the 2009 Motocross of Nations at Franciacorta in Italy. The old foes will renew their acquaintance but Reed will also have stiff opposition in the forms of Romain Febvre, Tim Gajser, Evgeny Bobryshev, Gautier Paulin, Clement Desalle, Jeremy Van Horebeek, Ben Townley, Max Nagl, Kevin Strijbos, Tommy Searle, Shaun Simpson and more. Apart from any aspirations of results in MXGP, Chad is already thinking about the experience of a world championship stage once more. “I haven't really given any thought to the racing itself I'm just excited to see old faces and new fans,” he remarked.

MXGP enters the Kegums circuit for the MXGP of Latvia this weekend and the first of three back-to-back events with visits to Germany and Italy ahead. Reed will join the circus for rounds eleven and twelve with many fans of the athlete and the sport awaiting his presence at the highest level international.

i say 8-12th finish.

I'm sure the only reason he is doing this is because he is going to collect a fat pay check

I'm sure that is not the motivation.

I suspect Reed has enough money. None of his moves, including starting his own team show any evidence of being focused primarily on monetary gain. Quite the opposite spending his own money to race.

I think, unlike say Villapoto, Reed just loves racing, and racing challenges.

I'm old, slower than ever, and I'd rather come last in an MX race than just spectate. (Usually I'm not dead last, but close!)

I think Reed would rather race a few GP rounds, than not. No matter what results he gets. If he feels he's ridden to his potential on the day, I'm guessing he'll be happy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he expects to get paid for the GP rounds, and wants to win every race he lines up in. I just don't think money is a big motivation. (He's racing in the Des Nations, do they even get paid for that?)

• Like 3

Would Reed even get top 15 in a MXGP? RV didn't exactly set the world on fire and he was much younger.

RV had the worst start in the history of GP racing. Well for a top rider. Then he won a race. He was criticized for not putting in the time to properly set up the bike. IMHO, he was burned out before the season started.

Watching a few races showed the GP races are different from our MX races. The speeds seemed higher and the tracks were rougher and in some cases really crappy. I don't blame RVs crash on throttle control, I think his spinning rear tire found the rock base and hooked up.

Edited by Kev_XR

Those are not off weekends for the AMA MX season.

British Grand Prix at Matterley Basin (Winchester) on June 18-19 and the

Grand Prix of Lombardia - Italy at Mantova on June 25-26

2016 RACE SCHEDULE

DATE TRACK CITY

May 21 Hangtown Motocross Classic Sacramento, CA

May 28 Glen Helen National San Bernardino, CA

June 4 Thunder Valley National Lakewood, CO

June 18 High Point National Mt. Morris, PA. <--------- British GP

June 25 Tennessee National Blountville, TN. <---- Italian GP

July 2 RedBud National Buchanan, MI

July 9 Southwick National Southwick, MA

July 16 Spring Creek National Millville, MN

July 23 Washougal National Washougal, WA

August 13 Unadilla National New Berlin, NY

August 20 Budds Creek National Mechanicsville, MD

August 27 Ironman National. Crawfordsville, IN

Edited by Kev_XR

I have doubts whether Reed can do this competitively.

I have read that Reed is pretty smart with his money, making good deals on real estate.

Fly to Europe, take a few weeks to get the bike set up, ride two races... Paid European Vacation. Tax write off too.

I doubt he has anything for the top GP riders, who are scary fast, but Reed likes racing and there is no championship on the line for him.

• Like 2