Exhaust systems

34 replies to this topic
  • toten

Posted May 14, 2016 - 12:36 PM

Louder sounds (within our range of hearing) will be easier to hear. INCREASING OTHER PEOPLES AWARENESS. How does that not make sense to you?

That doesn't mean people pay enough attention, or can tell where the noise is coming from. Given how quiet most modern cars are inside, and how little noise goes forward (where most threats are), it takes an outrageous amount of noise to get people to notice. If it's so much safer, someone has probably demonstrated it (rather than just saying they obviously do - lots of people claim something is obvious, that doesn't mean it's always right).

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 14, 2016 - 12:39 PM

I can't find anything about their Baja Series, only MX (and I suspect you mean Dubach for both). Is it the same pipe with a quiet insert of some sort?

Short header vs long header

You usually have to call them for anything that is not mostly popular

• Zbackcountry

Posted May 14, 2016 - 12:44 PM

Ok, but what do you think ears evolved to tell the brain? Recognizing sounds, and their direction. Its ingrained in our genetics, idc what you think..

Therefor, if its summer, and rich little old lady is driving her bmw convertible, and doesnt see a supermoto, but hears its yoshi pipes, and it saves two lives, over the course of 50 years, then LOUD EXHAUSTS SAVE LIVES.

It has happened before, many, many more times than twice. Im done arguing with you. Its not an opinion

• Zbackcountry

Posted May 14, 2016 - 12:47 PM

That doesn't mean people pay enough attention, or can tell where the noise is coming from. Given how quiet most modern cars are inside, and how little noise goes forward (where most threats are), it takes an outrageous amount of noise to get people to notice. If it's so much safer, someone has probably demonstrated it (rather than just saying they obviously do - lots of people claim something is obvious, that doesn't mean it's always right).

If you want proof, look it up. Its out there.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 14, 2016 - 01:49 PM

Ok, but what do you think ears evolved to tell the brain? Recognizing sounds, and their direction. Its ingrained in our genetics, idc what you think..

Therefor, if its summer, and rich little old lady is driving her bmw convertible, and doesnt see a supermoto, but hears its yoshi pipes, and it saves two lives, over the course of 50 years, then LOUD EXHAUSTS SAVE LIVES.

It has happened before, many, many more times than twice. Im done arguing with you. Its not an opinion

It has been proven scientifically that loud pipes indeed are in no way more safe in traffic.

An incidence where this could actually be true is such a infintesimal percentage of your driving time anyway, that it's clearly just an excuse to be loud.

In fact the startling nature of very loud pipes often have the opposite affect.

The average driver cannot process basic information very well to begin with, and the loud noise is just more information, not instruction or guidance, nor easy to determine it's location.

It's easy to find or give examples that say they are more safe, but as a rule, the louder pipes statistically have no effect accept to be MUCH MORE ANNOYING.

99.999% of the time, the noise they produce cannot possibly be considering useful to anyone, regarding driver saftey.

http://www.autoevolu...rt-1-45969.html

• Zbackcountry

Posted May 14, 2016 - 06:03 PM

If the snake makes more noise in the jungle brush, the monkeys will get an early warning. Ingrained in our nature is to turn our head towards loud sounds, as a defense mechanism.

The snake is your exhaust, and the monkey is the unaware driver.

I have some physic major friends, and im going to ask them about the rearward facing exhaust. Sound waves bounce off other things, and I still think a loud exhaust will reach father forward than a quieter exhaust. Even if it's just slightly, it helps.

Edited by Zbackcountry, May 14, 2016 - 06:10 PM.

• toten

Posted May 14, 2016 - 06:21 PM

If you want proof, look it up. Its out there.

So basically, you have no evidence but don't want to admit it. If you had real evidence, rather than anecdotes, you'd be posting it. 

Do you just run an open header, because apparently louder is better?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Zbackcountry

Posted May 14, 2016 - 06:22 PM

There is a point of deminishing returns. Above a certain decibel level, the risks outweigh the reward.

How do you want proof? Like the fact I have seen it with my own eyes. Lanesharing and someone with their blinker on doesnt see you, so you rev the bike and then they are more aware.. A louder exhaust makes it more possible. Thats anecdotal thought.

http://www.motorcycl...kes-save-lives/

I dont know physics, but im almost positive sound bounces off things. Therefor making a louder exhaust reach ears easier. Ill get some proof off this next week when I meet with my physics buddies.

Edited by Zbackcountry, May 14, 2016 - 06:33 PM.

• toten

Posted May 15, 2016 - 09:49 AM

How do you know said point of diminishing returns isn't at pretty much stock volume?

There's a big difference between pedestrians and drivers.

• kadowrf450

Posted May 15, 2016 - 10:07 PM

Does everyone re jett when going from stock exhaust to a new one. Eg fmf.

• Summit

Posted May 16, 2016 - 05:50 AM

I've never tried other brands for comparison but I've been really happy with my gytr since I put it on. It REALLY made a difference!

• jimmym

Posted May 16, 2016 - 07:31 AM

How do you want proof? Like the fact I have seen it with my own eyes. Lanesharing and someone with their blinker on doesnt see you, so you rev the bike and then they are more aware.. A louder exhaust makes it more possible. Thats anecdotal thought.

I dont know physics, but im almost positive sound bounces off things. Therefor making a louder exhaust reach ears easier. Ill get some proof off this next week when I meet with my physics buddies.

I get what you're saying, and it certainly makes sense in my mind that a louder pipe would alert others, but the articles I'm reading say otherwise. Without an official study or other proof, opinions are just that, opinions.

Has a loud bike ever prevented an accident? I'm sure it has, but is this a common occurrence or just a few extreme, isolated incidents. I look forward to the data you collect from your buddies. Hopefully you can shine a light on some of the unknowns surrounding this.

• Agazza

Posted May 16, 2016 - 08:12 AM

Does everyone re jett when going from stock exhaust to a new one. Eg fmf.

Im pretty sure you need to every time. I had to do it and I only went up to yz original header and opened up original can

• kadowrf450

Posted July 12, 2016 - 08:25 PM

Any ozzies ordered the powercore 4 or other exhaustsfrom Australia? just wondering where you ordered from and any prices. I'm not convinced eBay is the best way to go. 07 wr450. Cheers.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 12, 2016 - 08:41 PM

There is a point of deminishing returns. Above a certain decibel level, the risks outweigh the reward.

Dude, give it up. All your arguments point to the opposite of your foregone conclusion.

You cannot possible know where the sound is coming from quickly enough to matter,  if you are moving and the bike is moving, unless it is so close it does not matter.

You just hear 'sound', not information that you can use to change your driving and avoid an accident.

You have to look around, use your mirrors, try and find the source, figure out if you guessed correctly, decide if the information is relevant to you, and THEN you have to know what to do with that information, which 99% of all auto drivers do not know how to do. 

You just don't understand the basics of sound transmission in solids (the car) and in liquids (the air) to be able to comprehend how your argument is emotional, not rational, or even remotely scientifically relevant.

My previous link proves to be conclusive on the subject.

Besides, it's just plain irresponsible to be louder than you need to be, period.

Edited by KRANNIE, July 12, 2016 - 08:42 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.