New Rear Sprocket, Add Chain Links

3 replies to this topic
  • 2016 WR-450 F

Posted April 27, 2016 - 06:37 AM

I just purchased a 52 tooth sprocket for my 2016 WR-450f, I want some lower gearing because I have been riding a lot of technical lately.  My question is will I need to add links?  Can I add links to the chain, or do I need to purchase a new chain.  Thanks

• stevethe

Posted April 27, 2016 - 07:00 AM

No just put the sprocket on adjust the chain and ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toten

Posted April 27, 2016 - 07:49 AM

I'm having trouble finding stock gearing for the 2016, is it the same as 2015 at 14/47? I'm not sure I'd expect that to fit with stock chain, but maybe it does. 

If you need a longer chain, I'd suggest buying a longer one and keeping your current chain for when you want taller gearing. I don't like having any more master links than I need to. If extending it was the only way, I'd go rivet rather than clip (and have one rivet link, one clip link). 

• 2016 WR-450 F

Posted April 27, 2016 - 08:16 AM

I'm having trouble finding stock gearing for the 2016, is it the same as 2015 at 14/47? I'm not sure I'd expect that to fit with stock chain, but maybe it does. 

If you need a longer chain, I'd suggest buying a longer one and keeping your current chain for when you want taller gearing. I don't like having any more master links than I need to. If extending it was the only way, I'd go rivet rather than clip (and have one rivet link, one clip link). 

The 2016 is 13/50

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.