'14 YZ450F mapping for high elevation riding

3 replies to this topic
  • GHILL28

Posted April 25, 2016 - 10:54 AM

I did some riding this weekend at 7000-8000 feet.  I noticed a little bit of power loss on WOT coming out of uphill corners on fast fire roads/doubletrack.  Not enough to really matter, but enough to notice compared to most of my lower elevation riding.

Are there any mapping changes I could make for this when going to ride at these elevations (or higher)?  I'm currently running the MXA map/stock exhaust and CA pump 91.  Works damn near perfect at <5000ft.

• grayracer513

Posted April 25, 2016 - 12:35 PM

To an extent, there's only so much you can do about power loss at altitude.  It's simply a matter of air density, or rather a lack of it, which results in a roll back of the fuel delivery to adjust, and there you are; less air, less fuel, less power. 

But you can run more advance at altitude, or even less octane, because along with the lower air density, you have lower dynamic compression, which makes it less prone to detonation.

Try a little more advance, see how that does.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GHILL28

Posted April 25, 2016 - 08:20 PM

Guess it just needs forced induction...

Will try the advance, thanks.  Just +1 on all fields for advance?

• stevethe

Posted April 25, 2016 - 09:31 PM

Guess it just needs forced induction...

Will try the advance, thanks.  Just +1 on all fields for advance?

Why only +1. I have a 16' WR450 and now I'm running +4 on all the advance. I'm thinking anything but +4 is just making the bike less as in just retarded timing. But the good part of the tuner is its so easy to adjust it. Too bad we don't get a three position handlebar switch for different maps on the fly.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.