Suspension setup

9 replies to this topic
  • 0bigsilver6

Posted April 25, 2016 - 10:25 AM

02 yz426f

I just got off the phone with devol suspension here in WA and they gave me a $600 price tag on revolving my suspension and setting it up for me. This seems awfully high, how involved is it to buy the parts and go through it on my own? Or would I be better off just forking over the cash to have the professionals do it?

Edited by 0bigsilver6, April 25, 2016 - 10:26 AM.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 25, 2016 - 10:54 AM

I paid $495 and received a discount to have my last set done (not by Devol).  That's not that expensive.  Doing it yourself I have no experience with, but there are a lot of self-help videos on YouTube and helpful folks on the forums.

• toten

Posted April 25, 2016 - 12:36 PM

Is that on bike or off? Does that include springs too, or just valving? 

If you were buying Racetech parts the fork valve kit and the shock valve kit are $170 each, so $340. $260 labor to revalve fork and shock isn't outrageous. Throw in springs ($130F/$115R) and parts alone aren't very far from that $600 figure.

• 0bigsilver6

Posted April 25, 2016 - 01:02 PM

Is that on bike or off? Does that include springs too, or just valving?

If you were buying Racetech parts the fork valve kit and the shock valve kit are $170 each, so $340. $260 labor to revalve fork and shock isn't outrageous. Throw in springs ($130F/$115R) and parts alone aren't very far from that $600 figure.

That price was springs, valves, oil, seals, basically a complete rebuild. With everything off the bike. It would be $60 more if I take the whole bike. Sounds like I should just have them do it.

• toten

Posted April 25, 2016 - 02:16 PM

Huh, that's cheaper than I would've expected. Makes me wonder whether they're just changing the shim stack rather than the valves. Shims are cheap... did they mention what brand valves? Although it's far more important to have the right shim stack than the best valves.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 0bigsilver6

Posted April 25, 2016 - 03:23 PM

Huh, that's cheaper than I would've expected. Makes me wonder whether they're just changing the shim stack rather than the valves. Shims are cheap... did they mention what brand valves? Although it's far more important to have the right shim stack than the best valves.

The previous owner that I bought the bike from had the suspension done by them, so I get $200 off because he did that. That $200 would be for the valving, but I think it's got a lifetime warranty or something so I don't get charged that. Lucky me.

• grayracer513

Posted April 25, 2016 - 04:23 PM

There is usually very little reason to change the "valves" themselves.  Any valve actually consists of a stack of shims, perhaps a spring or two, and a ported disc on which the shims sit and close against when reverse biased.  In by far most cases, the OEM valves' flow is at least adequate without more than some mild rework, if that.  Most times, the "race valves" are added to help your wallet drain better.

• Wiz636

Posted April 25, 2016 - 07:11 PM

If you are in Washington I suggest Dave Sheets of TBT Racing.  He is in the Olympia area and will give you the best suspension you've ever ridden.  Call the Washington # listed at the top of the website. http://www.tbtracing.com/

• WYO522

Posted April 26, 2016 - 07:36 AM

Jesse Black with Division MX Suspension is the best I've ever had. Look them up on Facebook or I can get you their phone # if you like. Pricing is comparable and customer service is amazing!

• 0bigsilver6

Posted April 26, 2016 - 10:09 AM

Thanks guys for the suggestions, I'll probably still stick with devol since they are most local to me and because I get that $200 off.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.