'01 or '02 with a slight bog off idle?

2 replies to this topic
  • skthom2320

Posted March 22, 2002 - 08:34 PM

Guys, I'm so damn happy right now I have to share! I have an '01 426. My bike has never had an off-idle "stumble" or bog off-idle (at least when the fuel screw was adjusted right :) ). Until recently. The last 2 weekends I've noticed a bog off idle that I couldn't get rid of with fuel screw adjustments. I'd turn it in to lean it out and get a hanging idle. Turn it out to richen it and it would get worse. Arrgh.

Did I over-oil the last two air filters? I noticed the last time I put one on it was pretty heavily coated. So I cleaned 'em up and *lightly* coated them with oil last night. I reinstalled one today, started the bike up, and damn if I didn't still have the bog. I messed with the fuel screw again and verified the same behavior as before. Crap. Now what?

Well, since I had a feeling that I had over oiled the air filter, I took the carb completely apart and cleaned it real nice just now. Even installed the slide backward just for kicks. :D Once I redid the slide and got everything buttoned back up, I started the bike up. Wooohoooo! No more bog!

Must have sucked some oil in the pilot air jet or sumpin' like that.

Anyway, I thought I would share so the newer members can recognize these symptoms and start with a clean carb before they mess with jetting. BTW - my jetting is completely stock right now (about 65 degrees, sea level) with fuel screw adjustments daily to compensate for temperature.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_Lorenz

Posted March 23, 2002 - 04:44 AM

:) Yippie for you
Ya the 426ers really need to breath, my 00 is tempermental that way also in Northern CA. If depending on the day I may have to run up one Main or Down a main. I even keep spare Filters(Wrt Bros / K&N) and the stock. Its funny on wetter days / High Moister Colder days I run the Stock filter with a 165 Main also bring the needle up one. No Bogs No Hogs, Strangly though I did the BK mod and that little peie of trickery really made the diff on exiting corners on roll on, man she snaps up like a 250 and excels real hard

• Scott_in_KC

Posted March 24, 2002 - 08:34 AM

That little PAJ is just begging for something to plug it up! Good job, glad you found the patience to just take it apart and clean it before you freaked.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.