2002 wr426 head light & tail light conversion

14 replies to this topic
  • franklinx14

Posted April 24, 2016 - 01:41 PM

First off let me start by saying, I have looked all over forums trying to find this topic. Ive seen many people do this so maybe im just missing it. I have recently seen someone put a 2007 headlight on their 2002 wr426. When I looked into it I saw it was possible but needed a little bit of adjustments. They had mentioned something about needing a different adapter because the one plugging into the stock 2002 headlight was a little bit different. I have not been able to find out anymore information about this. I was wondering how easy this was because I have very minimal wiring skills, where I could find this 2007 adapter, and does it mount on stock 2002 mounts? 

Next, Ive also seen a lot of people getting rid of the stock back fender/light with the hump. I do like the flush fenders like the newer bikes but I still want to keep the back light because it is a street legal plated bike. Is there a light I can easily mount under a flush fender that still uses the stock wiring?

Thank you! And again, sorry if these were already answered on a different thread

• toten

Posted April 24, 2016 - 02:38 PM

I know for the YZs, you need to do quite a bit to run a 450 tail. Tank, seat, subframe, side panels, rear fender. There's a thread in the YZ forum. I also know that I managed to bolt up a YZ450F rear fender to my 03 WR450 with minor mods. The WR426 fender looks very similar to the early WR450 fender but it's a different part number so I doubt it'll bolt up. People say the YZ426 fender bolts up with minor mods and while it looks a little dated, I prefer it to the WR fender. On my WR450 I run a DRC Edge under the end of the taillight, which is a very common configuration. However, I think the WR426 runs all the lighting on AC so I don't know that LEDs are a good idea. I'm sure someone makes something that would fit without too much work.

Sorry I can't say for sure...

• ttreewalkerr

Posted April 24, 2016 - 04:02 PM

I'd like a newer rear fender on my WR426 also,, any info on how ? Drilling/trimming ?

• ttreewalkerr

Posted April 26, 2016 - 05:12 AM

Anyone ever try

• AKmud

Posted April 26, 2016 - 01:57 PM

My buddy put a 450 tail light on his '01 426. I thought it bolted right up... It didn't take much modification if any.

• toten

Posted April 26, 2016 - 02:20 PM

You mean a steel frame WR450 taillight? I imagine he's looking for something a little more modern, mounted under an MX style fender. I suspect the easiest thing to do is make a YZ426 fender work and then use whatever light he wants under that. 

• franklinx14

Posted April 26, 2016 - 02:29 PM

You mean a steel frame WR450 taillight? I imagine he's looking for something a little more modern, mounted under an MX style fender. I suspect the easiest thing to do is make a YZ426 fender work and then use whatever light he wants under that. 

Yeah exactly. The MX style rear fender is exactly what im going for. I can find tail lights that mount under the fender easy but ideally i want one that can use the stock wiring set up if possible

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toten

Posted April 26, 2016 - 07:24 PM

I'd be surprised if there was anything truly plug n play. It isn't difficult wiring though, depending on the setup there are either 2 or 3 wires. Mine has running light, brake light, ground. Stock it might just have 2 wires (running light, ground). 

Mine has a DRC Edge light and plate mounted under a steel frame YZ450F fender. It's showing some signs of plastic fatigue at the mounts (turning white). I don't know whether the 426 fender (that apparently fits yours easier) would last better. And mine's a supermoto and pretty much street only, no jumping or whoops or whatever.

• AKmud

Posted April 27, 2016 - 11:23 AM

Yeah exactly. The MX style rear fender is exactly what im going for. I can find tail lights that mount under the fender easy but ideally i want one that can use the stock wiring set up if possible

He mounted the same tail light I have on my '08 WR450 (under mount). Plug and play.

• toten

Posted April 27, 2016 - 12:09 PM

What light is that, the stock WR? I had thought those were LED, and wouldn't have expected them to work very well with the AC lighting system on a steel frame WR.

• AKmud

Posted April 28, 2016 - 08:47 AM

What light is that, the stock WR? I had thought those were LED, and wouldn't have expected them to work very well with the AC lighting system on a steel frame WR.

It may be LED, I'm not sure.  Seems to work fine though.

• toten

Posted April 28, 2016 - 09:08 AM

How long has he had it for? I've heard of LEDs being fed AC working but not lasting very well. And of course, there may be some flickering (especially at lower rpm).

• AKmud

Posted April 28, 2016 - 09:34 AM

He's been running it for about a year now.

• franklinx14

Posted May 17, 2016 - 08:03 PM

Does anyone by chance know of a good AC powered tail light that i could mount under a yz fender? 

• keepnitirie

Posted July 07, 2016 - 08:08 PM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1467950724.035189.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1467950745.461974.jpg
I recently bought a 2000 yz426 with light and battery kit installed. It's wired like sh*t but it works now that I cleaned it up. The only thing about it is the battery needs to be charged a after use, not charged by stator. The guy had 3 batteries (2 small 12v backups that were shot). I tossed two and left the 12v Moto battery.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.