03 WR450 Starter upgrades

29 replies to this topic
  • 450high

Posted March 16, 2004 - 11:23 PM

Like lightstorm said ! if it takes more than 10 minutes theres something wrong.I just did mine and it wasn't even a 1 stubby trip.You only need the small cover,bush,gear & 2 washers.You DO NOT need the side plate.Good luck and yes i now have peace of mind.

• tigerowner_ut

Posted March 17, 2004 - 01:45 PM

The part number for Glacier Garlock bushing is # MB-1012DU and they cost about $1.50 each. See this link for more info: http://www.ahrintern...er_bearings.htm

Indy,

Have you installed this part yet? Can I buy a single bushing from this site or do I need to find a supplier?

Thanks for the help!

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 17, 2004 - 02:25 PM

You can find this part from any industrial supplier that sells bearings. Kaman Industrial is where I buy mine. Here is a link to their web site and you can find a branch with their branch locator. :)
http://www.kamandirect.com/

• tigerowner_ut

Posted March 17, 2004 - 02:51 PM

Thanks Indy, I have a distributer here!

:)

• wr250rr

Posted March 19, 2004 - 01:24 AM

Hey guys, from what I gather, this starter upgrade is to eliminate the possibility of shearing the woodruff key. Now when I got my bike, I lock tited & tourqued the flywheel & nut before riding it. I have 1 hare scramble series, a couple GNCC,s, and countless other rides with no failure. But that dosen't mean my taper isn't off!
My question is should I be thinking about the upgrade? Or since I haven't had a problem yet, I'm good to go.

:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted March 19, 2004 - 02:56 AM

I ran a whole year without any issue. I never did the TSB loctite service on my flywheel. But I upgraded to the 04 starter design because it is possible to get a backfire and crack the case or at least shear the woodruff key. It is worth doing because over time the failure will happen to all 03's eventually. If you buy the bushing it will only cost you about $250. and 10 minutes to upgrade. :)

• ddialogue

Posted March 19, 2004 - 04:00 AM

Hey guys, from what I gather, this starter upgrade is to eliminate the possibility of shearing the woodruff key. Now when I got my bike, I lock tited & tourqued the flywheel & nut before riding it. I have 1 hare scramble series, a couple GNCC,s, and countless other rides with no failure. But that dosen't mean my taper isn't off!
My question is should I be thinking about the upgrade? Or since I haven't had a problem yet, I'm good to go.

Well, that's what I thought too but one year to the day and 2,600 miles later...KABOOM! Ok, it didn't sound like that but how do you describe the noise the key makes when it shears and then the flywheel just spins? :D I have almost all my 04 parts and will be doing that upgrade soon. My point is, I think they will fail eventually and because the upgrade parts really aren't too expensive, you really should just do it. :)

• KentuckyWR

Posted March 25, 2004 - 07:03 AM

Ok . . . going to take off work and do this upgrade tomorrow.
I bought all the parts as listed in the threads on this site, but now I see that people are doing the upgrade without removing or replacing the side cover . . . hum . . . why did I buy a side cover?

So just to be clear . . . I CAN do this upgrade WITHOUT using my new sidecover or even removing it for that matter. Is that a correct statement??

• BajaFool

Posted March 25, 2004 - 11:29 AM

KentuckyWR,
I just installed the new 04 starter parts in my 03 WR450. It took 10 minutes, but then I wanted to take my time. If you have purchased the $.76 Bushing, p/n 90380-10002-00, from Yamaha, then you do not need to spend $108.00 for the Crankcase Cover ---- it is your choice though. The bushing updates the 03 cover to 04 specifications. You will need to order a Cover Assy, p/n 5TJ-1549B-00-00; the Torque Limiter (Yamaha calls it a Washer) p/n 5JT-15560-00-00; and 2ea Washers, Plate, p/n 90201-105A8-00. I paid $213.65 for all of my parts. Take off the old side cover, remove the slip idler gear, install the new bushing in the case (block of wood and a hammer, two or three taps and it is seated), install the thrust washers one on each side of the torque limiter, install the torque limiter in the side case, and install the new deeper cover assy. It is truly a "no brainer" to accomplish. We all owe Lightstorm a big THANK YOU!!! for providing the part number for the bushing ---- it saved all of us a lot of money. Now, if I only I wasn't so busy, I could go riding. :)

• KentuckyWR

Posted March 26, 2004 - 09:17 AM

Didn't have the bushing but I did have the side cover.
Install was easy, just leaned the bike over a little and wrenched on!!
Lost very little oil, didn't have much gasket residue to clean and probably didn't take more than 45-50 minutes. It took longer to clean the gasket residue and remove/install the skid plate than anything else.

Thanks for the guidance from all! :)

Also put my new Q on today . . . Very Nice!!! :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.