2012-15 wr450 vs 2016 wr450

15 replies to this topic
  • 06springfield

Posted April 22, 2016 - 11:33 AM

I am looking for a new  "to me" ride.  I currently ride a 2 stroke yz with a big bore kit and love it.  My question is do the 2012 to 15 wr450 bikes such as bad as the internet articles say?  I know the 2016 WR is awesome but  will it do things for the average joe rider that the previous generation bikes won't do?   I don't care about horsepower as much as I am looking at suspension and handling.    I'd love to hear from anyone who has rode both bikes.  I'm a poor boy and don't want to be kicking myself after a purchase. Thanks. 

• bopper450

Posted April 22, 2016 - 06:34 PM

I run a 2012 in the bush and mountainous single track, yes it's heavy but I geared it down a bit and it will lug up any hill. I ride with all ktm's cpl four strokes and a couple 2 strokes and I have no problem riding with them. My bike is uncorked (has gytr ecu, throttle screw removed and an fmf exhaust) I think the suspension works well

• zorroz

Posted April 24, 2016 - 04:25 AM

The 12-15 is a good solid reliable trail bike. Its just they are top heavy in the tight singles. You really notice the difference jumping onto the 16 models.

• Chaconne

Posted April 24, 2016 - 05:39 PM

I run a 2012 in the bush and mountainous single track, yes it's heavy but I geared it down a bit and it will lug up any hill. I ride with all ktm's cpl four strokes and a couple 2 strokes and I have no problem riding with them. My bike is uncorked (has gytr ecu, throttle screw removed and an fmf exhaust) I think the suspension works well

The spec weight on the 2016 is 271 lbs and 2012-2015 is 273 lbs. They are both heavy bikes, but all bigger bore bikes trail oriented bikes are. I don't know what the OP is talking about or what he has heard on the internet.

There are always improvements year in year out and generally they don't live up to their marketing hype once people get some time to post up negatives.

2012-2015 wr450s are rock solid great bikes in my experience. And BTW I am pretty sure you have to uncork 2016s as well. I have the same setup you do on my 2014 I am very happy.

Edited by Chaconne, April 24, 2016 - 05:40 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 24, 2016 - 07:32 PM

Do not focus on the weight of the bike.

It is not at the top of the list for priorities.

Unless  you are riding extreme trails at very low speeds, the weight is a minor issue.

The 2012+ is one of the very best bikes you can buy, but it DOES need some pretty deep fine tuning of the FI system.

The 2016"s have the FI system figured out by the factory.

• stevethe

Posted April 24, 2016 - 07:47 PM

The only negatives I can think of with the 2016 are a small tank and the bike is tall. The original poster wasn't interested in hp but there is a big difference there. Also the fuel injection works like magic on the 16. But not to take too much out the 12' thru 15' models likely good performance and reliability.
The 16's feel light in comparison to the 07-11's. Likely due to the backwards motor and gas tank being under the seat.
The 16's are a real whole new generation of WR. But if it's mainly price and not HP the 12-15 is fuel injected and in a 250 frame.

• Chaconne

Posted April 25, 2016 - 09:04 AM

The only negatives I can think of with the 2016 are a small tank and the bike is tall. The original poster wasn't interested in hp but there is a big difference there. Also the fuel injection works like magic on the 16. But not to take too much out the 12' thru 15' models likely good performance and reliability.
The 16's feel light in comparison to the 07-11's. Likely due to the backwards motor and gas tank being under the seat.
The 16's are a real whole new generation of WR. But if it's mainly price and not HP the 12-15 is fuel injected and in a 250 frame.

Do you know what the HP difference is? I haven't seen that published anywhere we talking on the order of significance? Both bikes are tall for sure, I think the stock seat height on the 2016 is 38' the 2015 is 37.8'.

I have had no FI issues on my 2014, I do use a different map and ecu, but those options are the same on the 2016 aren't they?

This page has a 2016/2015 tab for comparisons:

https://www.yamahamo...d/models/wr450f

• stevethe

Posted April 25, 2016 - 10:27 AM

Do you know what the HP difference is? I haven't seen that published anywhere we talking on the order of significance? Both bikes are tall for sure, I think the stock seat height on the 2016 is 38' the 2015 is 37.8'.

I have had no FI issues on my 2014, I do use a different map and ecu, but those options are the same on the 2016 aren't they?

This page has a 2016/2015 tab for comparisons:
https://www.yamahamo...d/models/wr450f

I think the bugs in the earlier fuel injection are with starting as it appears many have had issues.

Certainly everone un corks and loads a map of their choice in the bikes. Most appear to have gotten 43 rear wheel hp out of the earlier fuel injected version. The 16' is truly a hp monster I'm pretty sure they are close to 60 with a few mods as that is what the YZ is pushing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chaconne

Posted April 25, 2016 - 10:57 AM

I think the bugs in the earlier fuel injection are with starting as it appears many have had issues.

Certainly everone un corks and loads a map of their choice in the bikes. Most appear to have gotten 43 rear wheel hp out of the earlier fuel injected version. The 16' is truly a hp monster I'm pretty sure they are close to 60 with a few mods as that is what the YZ is pushing.

You have any pointers to tests of that for the WR? I have seen the YZ numbers in the upper 50s, but I have not seen published WR results for 2016.

• stevethe

Posted April 25, 2016 - 11:21 AM

The WR results should mirror the 16 YZ as it is the same motor, fuel injection and so forth. You just YZ the WR as in de restricting it.

I will likely dyno tune my 16' WR but it also has the GYTR head so it may not be fair. Also dyno numbers are really just helpful on the same dyno the same day with the same operator. Maybe even better when the operator doesn't have any motor work in the bike.

If you do some googling around you will find all the numbers.

• gize

Posted April 25, 2016 - 03:35 PM

If you are on a budget I would find a good deal on a used 2012 WR. Having said that. I dropped a huge chunk of change on a brand new 16, made it street legal and uncorked it. After the kick in the gut that was.. Love the bike. Already did some custom pinstriping cause I suck and tipped over on some rocks ☺

• Chaconne

Posted April 26, 2016 - 06:08 PM

If you are on a budget I would find a good deal on a used 2012 WR. Having said that. I dropped a huge chunk of change on a brand new 16, made it street legal and uncorked it. After the kick in the gut that was.. Love the bike. Already did some custom pinstriping cause I suck and tipped over on some rocks ☺

Its a big bike, I tipped over my 2014 the first day I got it and broke the clutch lever....Humiliating...After that though, never let me down rock solid --true Yam tradition. BTW people on this list got some good deals on new leftover 2015s.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 26, 2016 - 06:18 PM

Its a big bike, I tipped over my 2014 the first day I got it and broke the clutch lever....Humiliating...After that though, never let me down rock solid --true Yam tradition. BTW people on this list got some good deals on new leftover 2015s.

If you are not dropping your bike at least once a ride, you aren't really riding....

• Kidrman

Posted April 26, 2016 - 07:32 PM

I picked up a new 2015 a month ago for 2,200 cheaper than a 16. I did the Ecu and Fmf pipe after one ride and what a difference!! Mine too has pinstripes, even on the new pipe.

I think it's very tall but I'm a very inexperienced rider.

• gize

Posted April 26, 2016 - 11:24 PM

If you are not dropping your bike at least once a ride, you aren't really riding....

Well I had a solid three for the day so I guess I'm doing alright ☺

• monkeystink

Posted May 02, 2016 - 03:08 PM

I picked up a 2015 a couple weeks ago, paid 7700 OTD so I reckon I saved a bit of money compared to buying a 2016, I like the changes that the 2016 come with but this old man will have plenty of fun without them. The last WR I had was a 2007 WR450F, loved that bike, sold it in 2009. I'm plating the bike, got the plate today and waiting on the street kit to arrive, ordered some Michelin KT63's for it also. 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.