1157 bulb on WR450F?

10 replies to this topic
  • Valkman

Posted March 10, 2004 - 07:34 AM


I changed the tail light bulb on my bike this weekend and noticed that it has a 1157 bulb in it (tail/brake). Anyone know why the brake portion isn't hooked up?? :)


Posted March 10, 2004 - 08:16 AM


Mainly because the bike is not sold as street legal in this country. All you have to do to wire it up is add a hydraulic brake switch to the rear master cylinder. I'm running the stock tailight assy on my '01 DS conversion. Without a battery the brakelight isn't that bright because the stator output is pretty low at idle (which most of the time happens to be the speed of the engine when your braking). I followed my buddy's WR last trip and could barely see the brakelight in bright sunlight. Mine is wired up to DC with a battery and it is way brighter. I thought his worked ok too until I followed him under actual riding conditions.


Posted March 10, 2004 - 08:59 AM


In Australia They sell these bike as Dual sports ,probably why they use that fillament. I hooked up a hydraulic brake switch as well. My bike is plated for street and I just wanted to keep cops of my case, even though I am barely ever on the road.White Bros has this switch.

  • Valkman

Posted March 10, 2004 - 12:13 PM


I'm not finding the switch, do you have a link to the page?


Posted March 10, 2004 - 01:23 PM


Check the four stokes only website they list them. Let me know how you make out. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ddialogue

Posted March 10, 2004 - 02:01 PM


Baja Designs sells the switch for $17.95. They have a $10 extension as well that has the mated connectors that will take it clear up under the seat.

I wired mine to the battery and swapped out the bulb for an LED equivalent. :)

  • simon@vic

Posted March 10, 2004 - 05:37 PM


DONT buy any of the above switches. some of them suck!!!!!

you want a pressure switch from a gas gas enduro. you can get it form the dealer they are 20$ Canadian retail.

  • ddialogue

Posted March 10, 2004 - 06:25 PM


DONT buy any of the above switches. some of them suck!!!!!

you want a pressure switch from a gas gas enduro. you can get it form the dealer they are 20$ Canadian retail.

I'm sure some of them do, but the one I got from BD has worked perfectly for almost a year now. :)

  • Matt96xr6

Posted March 10, 2004 - 08:48 PM


Just a suggestion, but on my Xr600 that I had I installed a hydraulic pressure switch in the rear brake. Could never get the soft feel out of the brake. I did not use the rear brake much anyways and move the switch to the front MC which I used more on the street. It worked fine on the larger front MC and without the switch in the rear, it returned to a normal feel.

For why, cost. You would have to add wiring, switches and fuses to the mix of parts. probably saves $5 total, but times that by 10,000 bikes and that adds up.

Like said, fourstrokesonly.com has plenty of switches for you there. Also replace the rear taillight with a LED from an autoparts store. The LED takes just about nothing to run freeing up extra power so you can it for the front light.

  • coldweld

Posted March 11, 2004 - 06:51 AM


Legaliser Kit in the UK sells for £ 300.00 .
Can not regester the bike without it [ Yamaha Con ]
Consists of loom, cheep swith gear , indicators, new headlight/cowl,Very cheep and nasty mirrors, lots of assorted bolt/nuts,Number plate holder, Hose for head breather.


Posted March 11, 2004 - 11:54 AM


DONT buy any of the above switches. some of them suck!!!



Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.