Running an Aluminum Throttle Tube? Like it?

12 replies to this topic
  • RSA210

Posted March 10, 2004 - 04:07 AM

Anyone running an aluminum throttle tube with their handguards?I keep having to reglue my Pro-Grip gel grips because they start rotating on the stock throttle tube after a couple of rides.I would prefer not to use safety wire & I am using a good quality grip glue.My thinking is that since most aluminum throttle tubes are knurled along with a new set of grips this should correct the grip rotation issue.Trust me its not fun pulling a monster wheelie only to discover that the throttle grip is loose :) On second thought, maybe I'll use that safety wire too! Aluminum throttle tube-Worth it or not?

• N7SLC

Posted March 10, 2004 - 04:38 AM

I don't know if they're worth it or not, but everytime I go to the
bike shop, the guy I deal with all the time tries to get me to buy
one...

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 10, 2004 - 05:30 AM

I have an aluminum billet throttle tube on my bike. I had to drill a 3/4" hole in the end of the tube. I lubed the inside up with grease. I think the plastic ones are better because you dont need to lube them. I got the billet tube because my plastic one cracked when I drilled the end for the Bark busters. :)

• The_Blue_One

Posted March 10, 2004 - 07:00 AM

I have an oberg billet throttle tube.It has a hole in it for hanguards already and is sealed to keep dirt out. It is smoother and since dirt doesn't collect in it i don't have to take it off and clean the tub all the time.I say if you have the money get one :)

• basicblues

Posted March 10, 2004 - 08:49 AM

I have the white brothers tube with no complaints. I used my grinder to remove the exact amount of solid end of the throttle tube therefore leaving the maximum length available, just enough removed to allow for my fastway handguard system. :)

• RSA210

Posted March 10, 2004 - 03:10 PM

Thanks for the Replies.I think I'll try Works Connection,I believe it is Teflon coated & knurled.A new set of grips & I should be good to go.What's another 60 bucks! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted March 10, 2004 - 05:33 PM

I eat through grips once a month! Does anyone make grips that last and are not as hard as car tires? I am using Renthal Dual compound and they seem to work the best for me.

• Matt96xr6

Posted March 10, 2004 - 06:09 PM

I have the ProTaper aluminum tube. Advantage to this one is that it has bearings on it. Runs butter smooth all the time!

Posted Image

Pro Taper Twister Throttle tube

FYI, there are different adapter ends for use with the handguards. Cost a bit more, but works more better for sure!

• The_Blue_One

Posted March 10, 2004 - 06:20 PM

I have the ProTaper aluminum tube. Advantage to this one is that it has bearings on it. Runs butter smooth all the time!

Posted Image

Pro Taper Twister Throttle tube

FYI, there are different adapter ends for use with the handguards. Cost a bit more, but works more better for sure!

This is what i have. :) Silky smooth and i got the adapter for my fastway handguards. :D

• The_Blue_One

Posted March 10, 2004 - 06:23 PM

I eat through grips once a month! Does anyone make grips that last and are not as hard as car tires? I am using Renthal Dual compound and they seem to work the best for me.

I've been using the progrip #796 dual compound grips.They have lasted me for 3months and counting. :)

• RichBaker

Posted March 10, 2004 - 06:44 PM

Safety wire is the ONLY why to ensure your grips stay on and don't rotate....DAMHIKIJKOK!

• crushedreams

Posted March 10, 2004 - 08:29 PM

I use the TAG soft compound. They last about 3 or 4 rides, but i like them.

• RSA210

Posted March 11, 2004 - 05:33 AM

I think I'll go back to full diamond Renthals medium compound.Those softer grips are nice but they just don't last.That Pro Taper unit is nice Blue One.We'll see how that Works Connection tube works out.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.