Chain guide replacement

5 replies to this topic
  • rhinoracin

Posted April 17, 2016 - 01:02 PM

Will be getting new sprockets, chain, adjuster blocks, and some other stuff for my YZ soon, and I'm thinking about doing the chain guide and maybe chain slider too. The stock slider and guide are still in good shape, but is the stuff from TM Designworks worth the money, or are they not as good as they look? I don't really need their top of the line parts, so is their cheaper stuff still better than stock?

• grayracer513

Posted April 17, 2016 - 01:14 PM

... is their cheaper stuff still better than stock?

Not really.

• Betarocker

Posted April 17, 2016 - 03:03 PM

I replaced my stock guide with a TM Designs. The OEM guide was soft-ish plastic/rubber liner in an aluminum frame. Once the frame was bent in from either crashing of hitting something, it wore out the side of the guide liner and also wore down the master link clip. The TM is a harder and slicker material and also has some elasticity so when it gets banged, it returns to its original position. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RMK800

Posted April 17, 2016 - 03:46 PM

I replaced my sons crf250X with the chain guide from TM. Seems very durable, however, it's freaking noisy. I can still hear it after a year. I would rather run oem.

• jamiehughes

Posted April 18, 2016 - 03:45 PM

The TM premium stuff is good stuff..not cheap tho..i had both the rear block and slider on my 06 yz450f.. they never wore out in the 7 years i owned it.  the factory stuff wasn't worn out either, they got got jacked up when my rear hub broke on the bike the first year i owned it

• Wiz636

Posted April 20, 2016 - 07:02 AM

I've ran TM Designworks, Acerbis, and Primary Drive chain guides and they all seem to perform about the same. The Acerbis gets a little closer to the rear sprocket than the others.

Ditch the stock guide with the aluminum body as they will not spring back into place if they take a hit and bend.  I have always removed mine immediately and save it for when I am selling the bike.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.