how to make yz426 suspension feel like 2005 yz450

10 replies to this topic
  • Mxman98

Posted April 16, 2016 - 08:20 PM

Hi I am new here and don't know if this is the right place to post this. I have a 2001 yz426 that I just bought and the suspension feels a little soft I am 6' and 175lbs. When I over shoot a jump even by a little the front forks bottom out making a metal nose, my buddy has a 2004 yz250f that I rode and it felt a lot better I could land almost as hard as I wanted and it did not botttom out hardly ever and when it did it did not make any noise, it felt like it was hitting a rubber stop.I was just wondering if there is anyway to make mine feel the same?

• toten

Posted April 16, 2016 - 09:48 PM

First thing to do is check sag and see where it is. If the springs are too soft, that could lead to bottoming out easier. Second thing to do is take them apart, inspect what's there, and at a minimum clean stuff up and put fresh oil in. When you look through them, you might find other things you need to replace. 

My recollection is that 2005 got a new type of forks, so it might be hard to get it to feel like that, but you can get the stock forks to work fairly well. 

• Mxman98

Posted April 17, 2016 - 07:42 AM

Yah I was wondering about the oil level, the guy I bought the bike from had it since it was new and he did not ride it much but he said he did replace the fork seals. I adjusted the clickers on the top and bottom. It helped a little but not much, the main thing I am concerned about is the metal against metal noise I get when it bottoms out. It's fairly loud. All other bikes I have rode never did this.

• Mxman98

Posted April 17, 2016 - 07:43 AM

I will check the sag for shure though the back shock never bottoms out that I can tell.

• toten

Posted April 17, 2016 - 07:46 AM

If there isn't enough oil in it, you'll get less of an air spring effect and it'll bottom out harder. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mxman98

Posted April 17, 2016 - 11:51 AM

Thanks that makes sense because when it bottoms out very lightly it feels pretty close to my buddy's bike. Do I have to pull the forks out of the crowns and off the bike to just add a little oil?

• grayracer513

Posted April 17, 2016 - 12:57 PM

You should do a full oil change on the forks, that way you'll know how much oil you have in them.  Your forks actually should have a bumper in each one at the top to soften the bottoming.  The '05 uses oil braking. 

• Mxman98

Posted April 17, 2016 - 12:59 PM

Ok is there any chance mine could be missing the bumper? They make a metal against metal noise.

• Mxman98

Posted April 17, 2016 - 01:00 PM

how hard I's it to put new oil in? And what weight should I use? I would prefere a little stiffer for big jumps even if it does a little worse for woods riding.

• grayracer513

Posted April 17, 2016 - 01:12 PM

Heavier oil won't accomplish that, and it should be OK with what it specifies.  Use a fork oil between 3 and 7 wt.  Oil is changed by loosening the top pinch bolts, loosening the caps, then removing the forks from the clamps.  Now count how many clicks it takes to gently bottom out one of the adjusters on the cap so you can return to that setting, then back out both rebound adjusters on the caps.  Unscrew the caps, pull the springs down and hold the jam nut while you remove the caps from the damper rods. Remove the springs and pull out the push rods from the centers of the damper rods.  Invert each fork and drain it, pumping the dampers to assist. 

To fill, fill each fork to above the damper and work the rod up and down slowly a few times to fill it.  Then, with the main tubes and the rods compressed, fill each until the oil is 110-115 mm below the top of the main tube.  Then reassemble.  Takes just over one quart, or about 36 ounces.

• Mxman98

Posted April 19, 2016 - 09:12 AM

Ok thanks I guys have been a big help.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.