07 450 no spark

4 replies to this topic
  • Treeyz450

Posted April 16, 2016 - 06:41 PM

My 07 Yz 450 spit and sputtered today like it ran out of fuel and wouldn't start. So, after I made sure it was getting fuel, I checked for spark and got nothing. I have checked all connections and leads for dirt, rust, looseness, etc.

I have it on the lift at home now, so I started with checking the magneto. In the manual it says to set my tester to ohms x 1. All my tester has is 20M 2M 200k 2k and 200. I got some readings that I THINK were right on the magneto, kill switch, and coil. I need to know what setting I should be on.

I guess you can't test the CDI box itself. I have a 2008 parts bike here, I guess I will try that CDI box and re test everything????????

A little help please

• defilmcrew

Posted April 16, 2016 - 10:39 PM

200 setting first if its under 200 ohms. When you hook the leads up you will see that switching to the higher settings should just move the decimal point over. I.e. at 200 setting 45 ohms is what the meter would read. At 2k 45ohms would show .045 so if you multiply by 1000 (1k increment up to 2k) you still get 45 ohms same for 200k and so on. Hope this helps, if not set the meter on all 3 lower settings and post them here along with the specs. Keep in mind that if its a faulty coil or magneto it might show okay ohms but it may not be sending power like it should

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Treeyz450

Posted April 17, 2016 - 10:51 AM

200 setting first if its under 200 ohms. When you hook the leads up you will see that switching to the higher settings should just move the decimal point over. I.e. at 200 setting 45 ohms is what the meter would read. At 2k 45ohms would show .045 so if you multiply by 1000 (1k increment up to 2k) you still get 45 ohms same for 200k and so on. Hope this helps, if not set the meter on all 3 lower settings and post them here along with the specs. Keep in mind that if its a faulty coil or magneto it might show okay ohms but it may not be sending power like it should

That's what I thought by testing them, I just wasn't sure. I think I'm going to start by putting the stator from my other bike in first bc I know it works, then move down the line from there if it isn't that.

Thanks a lot

• defilmcrew

Posted April 17, 2016 - 11:23 PM

Youre welcome, did you end up finding the problem?

• Treeyz450

Posted April 18, 2016 - 05:52 AM

Yes I did. I switch the stator from my 08 and it fired on the first kick like it always does.

Edited by Treeyz450, April 18, 2016 - 05:52 AM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.