can you get "factory" chain and sprocket?

4 replies to this topic
  • Summit

Posted April 16, 2016 - 07:04 AM

So someday my 05 wr450 will need a new chain and sprockets and given how the factory stuff has lasted I can't see any reason to use anything else. I can't seem to wear em out! 3200 miles and they're still ok. I clean and lube the chain every ride and don't get in sandy conditions much. Just wondering if I can purchase the same exact stuff as factory.

• stevethe

Posted April 16, 2016 - 07:38 AM

No reason it's just a steel rear sprocket that likely cost more than a good aftermarket like a Sunstar steel sprocket. But the dealer should be able to order you either.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toten

Posted April 16, 2016 - 09:41 AM

I know that lots of bikes use a linkless chain from the factory, so you'd have to pull the swingarm in order to replace it. Then again, it isn't a bad idea to clean/lube the swingarm bearings. I don't know if WRs are that way, though. 

Looking at the parts fiche here they show a clip style master link so I guess it probably doesn't apply here. It claims it's a DID 520VM and costs $195. It appears to no longer be available through normal retail channels, but it's an X ring chain. $195 is significantly more than I'd expect street price to be for a top of the line chain, but there's another step in there that needs to make money (Yamaha). 

For sprockets, if you're willing to spend a little more now I'd strongly consider Ironman sprockets. They're $35 front (13-14), $100 rear (48-53) (or $135 for their even lighter version), but incredibly durable (far more so than typical steel sprockets, let alone aluminum) and very light (around the same weight as aluminum). Superlite is another brand of lightweight sprockets made from high strength steel.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 16, 2016 - 07:31 PM

I know that lots of bikes use a linkless chain from the factory, so you'd have to pull the swingarm in order to replace it. Then again, it isn't a bad idea to clean/lube the swingarm bearings. I don't know if WRs are that way, though. 

Looking at the parts fiche here they show a clip style master link so I guess it probably doesn't apply here. It claims it's a DID 520VM and costs $195. It appears to no longer be available through normal retail channels, but it's an X ring chain. $195 is significantly more than I'd expect street price to be for a top of the line chain, but there's another step in there that needs to make money (Yamaha). 

For sprockets, if you're willing to spend a little more now I'd strongly consider Ironman sprockets. They're $35 front (13-14), $100 rear (48-53) (or $135 for their even lighter version), but incredibly durable (far more so than typical steel sprockets, let alone aluminum) and very light (around the same weight as aluminum). Superlite is another brand of lightweight sprockets made from high strength steel.

OMG

It's called a rivet link, and you don't have to pull the swingarm.......you just grind it off and get another rivet link, or a regular clip link.

The stock WR chain is an entry level DID "S" chain, and 'Sun' Brand sprockets, which are the same as 'Sunstar' from Japan.

The chain is absolutely nothing special, and an inexpensive X ring or O ring chain is a better buy.

IMHO, the best chain out there is the DID VT2, and at about $119 for a 120 link chain that lasts 200 hours it's a bargain.....

• Pancho_Jsy

Posted April 18, 2016 - 01:43 AM

Any Japanese x or xy chain and steel sprockets will last just as long as OEM. And sod paying over $100 for a steel sprocket. In the UK we get JT steel rear sprockets for under £20. I've seen them last >15,000 miles on the road.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.