98yz400f won't start after carb rebuild

1 reply to this topic
  • Wanny14c

Posted April 15, 2016 - 03:46 AM

Hey guys here's the deal I purchased a yz400f last year and it is the first bike I have ever owned. Midway through the summer last year it started leaking fuel and slowly got worse. Bike ran fine just leaked fuel. So last week I ordered a moose racing carb rebuild kit and put it in. I put the OEM jets from the jetting database in the bike and I can't get it to fire. If I let it sit for a while I can get it to fire but only with the choke on. Like i said I put all new jets in it. The bike ran fine before I did the rebuild just didn't want fuel every where. It's getting frustrating main jet was a 178 and I started with that one and changed to the 175 when it wouldn't start. The pilot jet that was in it I was not able to tell what it was because the numbers were gone. I put the OEM one in that came with the kit.

If anyone has any advice on what I can try next I would love hear what I it is. Oh and my accelerator pump was good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wanny14c

Posted April 15, 2016 - 04:28 PM

Ok so I'm an idiot when I cleaned the carb I took the top off to get the slide out and replace the gasket and when I did that I took a screw out that moved the slide assembly rod over. Well when it did that my idle screw was not even touching where the cables hook up which was not allowing me to set the idle. Fixed and runs like a dream now.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.