fork oil?

26 replies to this topic
  • Goforaride

Posted April 14, 2016 - 03:20 PM

Oil level measurement is made with the springs removed, and the damper rods and main tubes fully compressed. Measure from the top of the inner main tube to the top of the oil.

Maybe I'm having a blonde moment but how exactly would you measure oil height with the spring out? You have to pull out the damper to remove the spring and the again to re install it. How would you keep the oil in the tube with 5he rod out?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 14, 2016 - 03:34 PM

the manual only references oil volume for the outer. Or am i missing something? It gives the height for the inner but that's mostly irrelevant.

You have an open bath fork.

There is no inner and outer....

• Goforaride

Posted April 14, 2016 - 03:40 PM

You have an open bath fork.
There is no inner and outer....

2014 yz450f is open bath Huh? I guess I kinda thread hijacked. But seriously how do you use oil height? It seems to be a more accurate measurement than just adding 335cc. Who know how much oil is still hiding after pouring it out.

Edited by Goforaride, April 14, 2016 - 03:42 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted April 14, 2016 - 03:46 PM

2014 yz450f is open bath Huh? I guess I kinda thread hijacked. But seriously how do you use oil height? It seems to be a more accurate measurement than just adding 335cc. Who know how much oil is still hiding after pouring it out.

You piggybacked on someone elses 1998 YZ400 thread, confusing everyone....

Start your own thread.

• Goforaride

Posted April 14, 2016 - 03:49 PM

You piggybacked on someone elses 1998 YZ400 thread, confusing everyone....

Start your own thread.

ya ya ya. Somehow I thought this was a 2014. Blonde moment all around. If you know the answer to my question, can you pm it to me.

• grayracer513

Posted April 14, 2016 - 04:38 PM

the manual only references oil volume for the outer. Or am i missing something? It gives the height for the inner but that's mostly irrelevant.

What you are missing is a manual for an '04 or earlier model.  There is no inner and outer chamber in any YZ made prior to '05, and an oil volume is not listed in the manual for them.

• Goforaride

Posted April 14, 2016 - 04:53 PM

Check post above

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.