02 yz426 top end rebuild

30 replies to this topic
  • 02_yz426f

Posted April 12, 2016 - 11:08 AM

I have a 02 yz426f I've had for a couple years an have decided to rebuild the top end had the jug resleeved with wisco sleeve an new wisco piston an rings an used wisco gaskets didn't seal up an was getting coolent in the oil now I've used cosmetic gaskets an still not seeling up any help would be much appreciated

• billygildark5007

Posted April 12, 2016 - 12:30 PM

You should only used oem gaskets. Also have the head/cylinder checked for warping

• grayracer513

Posted April 12, 2016 - 12:58 PM

First off, I cannot recommend that the cylinder in any YZF should ever be sleeved.  If in need of that much repair, they should be repaired and re-plated with Nikasil as they originally were, or bored oversized as a big bore kit and re-plated.   Sleeves can cause a whole set of problems all their own, including head gasket sealing issues.

Secondly, I have to agree with the OEM only sentiment. 

As to coolant, there are three places where a gasket or seal failure will allow coolant to invade the oil supply:  The head gasket, the base gasket (at the front where the water passage from the crankcase is), and the right side crankcase cover (the passage behind the water pump).  The point of entry may also be a crack in the head, cylinder, crankcase (within the coolant passage from pump to base), or the right side cover.

• 02_yz426f

Posted April 12, 2016 - 07:23 PM

I bought the bike used an raced it a few times an never had any problems what so ever until I went to ride it one day an no longer had to use the compression release an talk about hard to start b4 that no issues an now I'm at this point an its definitely the head that's not sealing after a lil coolent was seeping from the middle of head an jug

• slasher729

Posted April 13, 2016 - 03:52 AM

Probably the shitty cometic gaskets. I had my fun with them and had to take everything back apart and used oem gaskets and everything's good.

• grayracer513

Posted April 13, 2016 - 06:18 AM

Are you torquing the head to the correct spec's?

• 02_yz426f

Posted April 13, 2016 - 07:26 AM

No I torqued to 25 fp I couldn't find my book a it 25 on some form online but I found my book last night an it says 32 fp but I'm going to go ahead an order a set of oem gaskets

• slasher729

Posted April 13, 2016 - 07:29 AM

I'd at least torque then to spec and see what happens. Wouldn't hurt and only takes a few minutes.

• slasher729

Posted April 13, 2016 - 09:08 AM

Well actually it's going to take longer seeing as you have to pull the cams to torque the other two down, 

• 02_yz426f

Posted April 14, 2016 - 07:52 PM

Yeah but since it got coolent in the gaskets wouldnt I have to tear it all the way back down pull the jug an every thing back off to clean it back up or do you think it would seal just torquing the head bolts

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slasher729

Posted April 15, 2016 - 02:22 AM

To be honest i did everything correctly with the right torque specs and it still leaked on the right of the head gasket. Not sure where yours is leaking but i don't think all of that work is worth the 45 bucks for new oem head and base gaskets just to have to go back and do it again. I'd just get the new gaskets and be done with it.

• 02_yz426f

Posted April 15, 2016 - 09:21 PM

Where do you get your oem gaskets at

• WYO522

Posted April 16, 2016 - 08:10 AM

Where do you get your oem gaskets at

www.rockymountainatvmc.com

• grayracer513

Posted April 17, 2016 - 07:06 AM

TT Store

• 02_yz426f

Posted April 22, 2016 - 10:47 AM

Ok I ordered them

• 02_yz426f

Posted May 02, 2016 - 07:32 AM

Ok so I ordered the new gaskets put the bike all back together step by step bike sealed up great an was ripping around the yard a little bit when all of a sudden everything went to a screeching halt so I pushed it back into the garage and pulled the cover off to find out that my center intake valve head busted the bucket and the Valve came apart including a broke timing chain what causes this to happen

• 02_yz426f

Posted May 02, 2016 - 07:38 AM

Pics of what I've found

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• toten

Posted May 02, 2016 - 08:24 AM

Wow. Are you sure the cam timing was right? Any chance you revved it way too high? It can be hard to tell what happened first... if the cam chain breaks you can have piston/valve contact that damages the valve/bucket, or if you have piston/valve contact for some other reason it can break the cam chain.

• grayracer513

Posted May 02, 2016 - 08:24 AM

The point of failure was probably the cam chain, which would allow the valves to be out of sync with the rest of the engine and hit the piston, jamming the valve into the cam and thereby breaking the lifter.

• slasher729

Posted May 02, 2016 - 08:37 AM

I'm guessing timing or valve clearance.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.