Unabiker Rad Guards

7 replies to this topic
  • counteru

Posted April 12, 2016 - 10:24 AM

I ordered some of the Unabiker Radiator Guards for my 2016 YZ450F and found out they do not fit properly on the bike. I thought I would share my experience so that nobody else makes the mistake of ordering these until they update their product to fit the bike properly.

So I got into the setup and found the rear part of the brace sit about 1/4 of an inch away from the frame mounting point. Pic below:

25790594963_4fbe037d85.jpg

I thought if go ahead and force it then it will pull the rad's back 1/4 of an inch and might be ok or it might cause the side mounting points on the radiator for the shroud to misalign. I decided to at least attempt to align the side shroud to see if that would be possible before locking everything down. 

That's when I found that the shroud no longer sits against the radiator as it should so it forces the rear mounting point even further away than the rear brace. Pics below:

25790594993_3972e1812e.jpg

25790595013_0d56c774d2.jpg

25790595023_86b3ce3c4e.jpg

So, I talked with the guys at Unabiker and they are sending me some spacers and said that Yamaha must have decided to change the shrouds form the 2014F-2015F to the FX shrouds. They said they will mail me some spacers.

I am worried that even if I use the spacers and everything aligns up properly that it will force out the rear of the shrouds and interfere with my knee's.  I guess Unabiker did not check to maek sure their product properly fit the bike they are selling the part for. BUMMER!!!!

So, until they fix the issue's with their product for the 2016 YZ450F I suggest staying away.

I will however, attempt to use the spacers and return with an update.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 12, 2016 - 03:33 PM

Are you mounting these on an F or an FX?

• counteru

Posted April 13, 2016 - 03:26 AM

Are you mounting these on an F or an FX?

on the F.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 13, 2016 - 05:38 AM

on the F.

Interesting, I know the shrouds on the FX are slightly different than F model shrouds to improve air flow supposedly.  Maybe if Unabiker makes a 250FX brace you could try those?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motocrotts

Posted April 13, 2016 - 05:45 AM

I've had the same problem with EE products in the past. Good stuff that doesn't always fit. To there credit though, they'll bend over backwards to help you. I ordered the gytr braces for my X but of course they're on back order.

• counteru

Posted April 13, 2016 - 05:55 AM

Interesting, I know the shrouds on the FX are slightly different than F model shrouds to improve air flow supposedly.  Maybe if Unabiker makes a 250FX brace you could try those?

ya, i didn't think of that. If these spacers don't work out I will try to see if these guys will exchange it for them. Thanks

• counteru

Posted April 15, 2016 - 09:12 AM

spacers worked fine.......... enough said  :ride:

• Drenmaster

Posted April 15, 2016 - 10:29 AM

spacers worked fine.......... enough said  :ride:

glad it worked out for you. i have these on my '14 and they have saved my radiators so many times.. the airbox cover kept popping out so i did have to adjust the plastics where the new unabiker hardware goes. i pretty much pushed the shroud plastics up as high as they can go and tighten the hardware. solved my issue, not sure if you will have that problem or not, just wanted to share.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.