Stripped sub frame

8 replies to this topic
  • dhend8

Posted April 11, 2016 - 04:25 PM

I just notice a couple days ago that the bolt that holds the sub frame to the frame was missing. So today I got a new bolt tryed putting it in and i noticed it was stripped. Any suggestions on what I could do? Would loctite do anything?20160411_184533.png

• filterx

Posted April 11, 2016 - 04:44 PM

You could try tapping it with the same size tap first and use a new bolt first. If that doesn't work then re-tap with the next size up. Absolute worst case would be to drill it out smooth and use a new bolt with a nut on the back but before you do that...

If you can take it to a good machine shop or mechanic and see what they suggest

• cesper

Posted April 11, 2016 - 04:58 PM

Time-sert would be the absolute best thing. They are pricey, but if you remove anything in the way and take it to a shop that has them, shouldn't be more than 0.5 labor or something like that.

• filterx

Posted April 11, 2016 - 05:01 PM

And yes there will be some good other options

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jlash

Posted April 11, 2016 - 06:12 PM

drill it out, tap it, and install a helicoil of the original bolt size

• ThrustWasher

Posted April 11, 2016 - 06:56 PM

Put the same thread bolt in there thats a 1/2 longer than normal and put a locknut on the backside.

Edited by PelvicThruster, April 12, 2016 - 11:31 AM.

• toten

Posted April 12, 2016 - 07:14 AM

I'd go with a longer bolt and nut (preferably nylock) if there's space for it. If there isn't, I prefer Timesert to Helicoil, but either will work. 

When it comes to bolts into aluminum threads, it's important to not overtighten. You're far better off torquing it a little light with loctite than cranking on it so it won't come out without loctite... of course, a torque wrench and proper torque AND loctite is the best option (unless you've calibrated your wrist that well).

• problem_child

Posted April 15, 2016 - 09:42 AM

I'd get a new bolt and run a tap through it before heli coiling or going up a size

Edited by problem_child, April 15, 2016 - 09:43 AM.

• shredmasterz

Posted April 17, 2016 - 12:00 PM

You can try the new bolt and tap idea but I think it is wishful thinking because the aluminum is likely stripped since it is much softer than the steel bolt.  I agree a Timesert is stronger than a Helicoil, but I would use whichever requires you to use the smallest hole size because the frame boss has limited material.  Another option could be to run a longer bolt and put a nut on the back.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.