WR450F SM vs SMR 510


7 replies to this topic
  • MtnDrew

Posted April 11, 2016 - 12:31 PM

#1

Hello everyone,

 

I'm looking for a new supermoto and i'm having trouble picking one. I live in California and living here it is basically impossible to convert a mx bike to being street legal so you have to look at other bikes.

 

Right now I have a DRZ that i'm looking to upgrade. I'm looking for something much lighter and the bike being a bit faster wouldn't hurt either. 80% of the time I ride, it's twisty roads on the weekends for fun and the other 20% is commuting to my college when the weather permits.

 

I really really REALLY want a newer 2012 + WR450F SM. Super light, more then enough power, and I really want to stick with Japanese bikes. The WR has definitely proven itself to be more then reliable as well.

 

Only problem is, if I want a plated one in California it's going to cost me a pretty penny especially if its a 2012 +. Which makes me look elsewhere for other supermoto bikes. My only other options would be to buy a factory plated KTM, Husky, or Beta. Out of all of those companies I trust Husky the most. The one that peaks my interest the most is the SMR 510.

 

I can find SMR 510s on craigslist for $5000 to $6000. Also these are factory supermotos, with 17s and really nice brakes.

 

I have been looking on craigslist for over a year now and only one 2012 WR450F has come up and is still up right now. It only has the dirt rims, so I would have to spend $1000 to get some warp 9s. He is asking $8000.

 

So what do you guys think? Is the WR worth it? Should I go euro? Thanks for checking my post out!  



  • stevethe

Posted April 11, 2016 - 01:40 PM

#2

$8000. Seems too much to me. I would just get a 07-11. I'm not a Husky guy some go for awhile others don't.

  • Krannie McKranface

Posted April 11, 2016 - 03:17 PM

#3

Some of the best racing tuners in the world flat gave up on all the Cagiva built Huskies (red).

 

That should tell you something.....



  • MtnDrew

Posted April 11, 2016 - 04:56 PM

#4

$8000. Seems too much to me. I would just get a 07-11. I'm not a Husky guy some go for awhile others don't.

But I like how the 2012 + have fuel injection and also I like the styling of the newer bikes more. The only older WR's I can find are beat to hell.



Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted April 11, 2016 - 05:07 PM

#5

But I like how the 2012 + have fuel injection and also I like the styling of the newer bikes more. The only older WR's I can find are beat to hell.

 

That's cause they don't break, and have neutral handing and power, and get ridden till they are worn out.....



  • yz2009

Posted April 12, 2016 - 06:19 PM

#6

I bought a 2004 wr450 that had a street title about a year and a half ago for 3800. I still had to buy a light kit and wheels for it. So far I've got close to 7k in it. Many will say that's too expensive but I don't regret any part of it. If I had the money and found a street plated 2012+ for that price I would seriously consider it. I love my wr

  • toten

Posted April 12, 2016 - 07:40 PM

#7

Wow, that's a lot. I bought my 2003 a year and change ago for $3400. It had Excel/Talon 17s, Brembo radial master, Braking 4pot caliper, Braking 320mm rotor, set up for the street (but needed a floated stator ground/new RR). Factory wheels were included, still have tits in them. And this is California prices...



  • Pancho_Jsy

Posted April 14, 2016 - 01:30 AM

#8

Twirled the spanners at a Husqvarna dealership for 8 years and I'd say the SMR510 is pretty much the perfect supermoto straight out the box. It's got the proper forks, wheels, brakes, geometry etc straight out the box. If they're looked after they're pretty reliable (Granted, not as reliable as a WR450F) and they don't half go!  

 

If you're accustomed to Japanese bikes you'll find getting hold of parts extremely frustrating, and the wealth of online knowledge is much smaller. I would go for a fuel injected one over the carb'd bike because they had an irritating habit of cutting out as you come to a stop.

 

Buy the best one you can find and you'll have a blast






 
x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.