Adding a thermostat

63 replies to this topic
  • toten

Posted April 11, 2016 - 10:00 AM

I have an 03 WR450 set up as a supermoto that sees pretty much only street use. With no thermostat, I imagine coolant temp varies a lot, which probably contributes to the difficulty I'm having in getting the jetting right. 

http://shop.watt-man...03-09-TBWR4.htm

Has anyone added one of those to a road-going bike? I'm also planning on adding a fan, hopefully I can figure out a way to automatically turn it on when I hit 195 or something. Or if there are other thermostat suggestions I'd like to hear them.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 11, 2016 - 11:17 AM

Three WR's, all kinds of riding, no thermostat, and no fan.

Don't need it.

• toten

Posted April 11, 2016 - 12:03 PM

I've gotten stuck in traffic that I can't get through and it's gotten hot enough that I decided to stop and let it take a break (high 220s), so I'd like to at least add a fan. 

• stevethe

Posted April 11, 2016 - 01:58 PM

My four WR450's do not use a thermostat. The 16' came with a fan so I use it. However in extreme riding it is also on a diet of nearly pure antifreeze. As long as there is fluid in the radiator your fine unless you just want a fan.

Your jetting issues do not have to do with thermostat's or a fan.

• zibbit u2

Posted April 12, 2016 - 02:02 PM

jetting issues probably have something to do with your carb wanting a rebuild/re-seal.. or possibly the coupling between the carb -> head getting old and causing a vacuum leak

• GuyGraham

Posted April 15, 2016 - 09:22 AM

My 08 used to overcool when used on road resulting in white emulsified oil in the breather pipes between head, starter motor and airbox but it didnt affect the jetting.
Thermostats are a good idea for road only use. The bike is designed to cool sufficently with lots of 1st and 2nd gear use in the woods so 60/70mph cooling air in top gear will over cool it

• jpgolf14

Posted April 15, 2016 - 01:14 PM

These bikes really need a thermostat for any kind of high speed riding.  They have big radiators for slow speed stuff.  Mine runs at 120 degrees F at anything over 20mph on a 60 degree day.  Really bad for engine wear and likely fuel efficiency as well.  I am waiting for my thermo-bob to show up along with my fan parts.  I am going with the 195 degree thermostat and a 210 degree fan switch.

Fan:

http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o01_s00

Hose adapter:

http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o00_s00

Thermo Switch:

http://www.americanv...d-In-Thermostat

I will take some pics when I do the install.

• stevethe

Posted April 15, 2016 - 04:29 PM

I don't believe mine runs too cool on the street as one is a supermoto only street bike. I don't think the bikes much different cooling than a Suzuki DRZ. Remember they are street plated in other countries.

• toten

Posted April 15, 2016 - 06:49 PM

DRZs use thermostats (or at least I just looked at the parts fiche for a 2014 DRZ-SM and it has one). 

• GuyGraham

Posted April 15, 2016 - 11:36 PM

Yes drz s and sm have thermostat to stop over cooling on the street
Wr rads also have more surface area than drz which translate to more cooling effect
Remember these bikes are designed to cool adequately at 20mph so at street speeds they WILL overcool unles a stat is fitted to control the waterflow rate through the engine

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted April 16, 2016 - 06:51 AM

Some have it some don't http://www.thumperta...400-thermostat/

I am in So Cal so the temps are not too cool.

• GuyGraham

Posted April 16, 2016 - 08:43 AM

Yes, the E model doesn't have a thermostat, but it was designed for the same thing as the WR ie enduros, woods and single track, not highway speeds in top gear for mile after mile

• jpgolf14

Posted April 18, 2016 - 09:50 AM

Do a google search on engine wear vs temperature and you will understand why some of us are adding thermostats.  These bikes have super efficient cooling systems.  Unless it is 140 where you ride or you are always doing slow speed work, you need a thermostat to run at optimal temperature.

• Pancho_Jsy

Posted April 21, 2016 - 01:33 AM

Has anyone actually fitted temp gauge and proven that their bike overcools? 

Maybe on long, slow highway rides the temp would drop too much but I ride mine hard on road and track and it always feels well up to temp. I can tell if it's cold because it runs too rich at off idle until it's up to temp. Once it's hot it never cools back down and goes rich again.

If it aint broke leave it the hell alone.

• jpgolf14

Posted April 21, 2016 - 05:27 AM

Maybe on long, slow highway rides the temp would drop too much but I ride mine hard on road and track and it always feels well up to temp. I can tell if it's cold because it runs too rich at off idle until it's up to temp. Once it's hot it never cools back down and goes rich again.

Of course.  You don't really think we would be wasting our time and money with this stuff for no reason?

How hard you drive the bike really has nothing to do with it.  If you are sustaining med/high speed, you are overcooling.  My bike runs poorly up to about 105 degrees then its happy after that.   Still not good for efficiency or engine wear though.

I was comparing the radiator size of my bike to my roommates V-Strom 650 and the V-Strom's radiator is about the size of ONE of the WR's radiators.  That is a 500lb, 70hp bike.

Everyone's definition of broke is different.  Do you run your cars without a thermostat too?

• GuyGraham

Posted April 21, 2016 - 06:15 AM

Maybe on long, slow highway rides the temp would drop too much but I ride mine hard on road and track and it always feels well up to temp. I can tell if it's cold because it runs too rich at off idle until it's up to temp. Once it's hot it never cools back down and goes rich again.

Engines run lean when they are cold, not rich!!!
I dont think you really understand the issue
Bikes with rads big enough to cool at 15-20mph in first and second gear will overcool when driven at 50/70mph in the higher gears unless a thermostat is fitted to restrict the water flow and regulate the wayer temp
The fact I used to get white emulsified oil in the breather pipes when using it on the road confirmed it was overcooling as it wasnt getting hot enough to evaporate the moisture off but this never happened when using it as designed ie off road in the woods

• stevethe

Posted April 21, 2016 - 06:23 AM

I believe it depends on where you live and ride as temps vary. Ultimately having a reliable as factory stock thermostat set up would be great along with a fan when it gets hot to cool it. 

These bikes are still sold as street legal in other parts of the country without thermostats. I have not witnessed any I'll effects of not having a thermostat in my street bike WR it's usually not running cool but it's generally ridden in the summer months in So. Cal.

• Pancho_Jsy

Posted April 22, 2016 - 01:37 AM

Engines run lean when they are cold, not rich!!!
I dont think you really understand the issue
Bikes with rads big enough to cool at 15-20mph in first and second gear will overcool when driven at 50/70mph in the higher gears unless a thermostat is fitted to restrict the water flow and regulate the wayer temp
The fact I used to get white emulsified oil in the breather pipes when using it on the road confirmed it was overcooling as it wasnt getting hot enough to evaporate the moisture off but this never happened when using it as designed ie off road in the woods

Reading my post back I didn't explain myself properly, I know engines run lean and need more fuel when they're cold. What I'm saying is that once up to temp it has never started running lean again after a gentle highway ride. Have you fitted a temp gauge to prove your theory?

• GuyGraham

Posted April 22, 2016 - 03:38 AM

No need to fit temp gauge the white emulsified oil indicated that it wasnt getting hot enough.
You cant tell the temp by how the bike runs. Modern syn oil needs temp rather than viscosity for its full protection
Its your bike.
If you are fine with running it on road without a stat then thats ok its your bike. I wasnt thats why i stopped using it on the road and put it back to its intented design use.

• stevethe

Posted April 22, 2016 - 05:34 AM

No need to fit temp gauge the white emulsified oil indicated that it wasnt getting hot enough.
You cant tell the temp by how the bike runs. Modern syn oil needs temp rather than viscosity for its full protection
Its your bike.
If you are fine with running it on road without a stat then thats ok its your bike. I wasnt thats why i stopped using it on the road and put it back to its intented design use.

Your in England? cold out that way? Did you take very short trips where the oil didn't heat up. Certainly a thermostat would be the way to go in cold weather climates to insure proper operating temps. But very short trips could still be an issue I would imagine.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.