Tire Confusion

10 replies to this topic
  • renegade13

Posted March 09, 2004 - 01:16 PM

Hello,

I know there are several tire recommendation threads but I've gone through most of them and haven't really found the info I need. Most seem to concentrate on tires where the majority of riding is off-road. I'm looking for a new rear tire for my XR650L where my riding is about 60% street and 40% off-road. The off-road stuff is gravel, hardpack and rocky terrain. Not much mud or sand. Any recommendations for a decent rear tire that will suit my needs?

Thanks.

• TimBrp

Posted March 09, 2004 - 02:37 PM

Dunlop 606

• irondude

Posted March 09, 2004 - 02:38 PM

Michelin Desert.

• BuddyK

Posted March 09, 2004 - 03:24 PM

I've read the Pirelli M21 is comparable to the 606 on the street, but better off road. I have the M21's front & rear, but they are the only tires I've tried. It does good off road, seems a little easy to slide the rear into corners on the street, but very controllable

• bigmike61

Posted March 09, 2004 - 07:10 PM

I have Dunlop 606 on both front and rear and they work well. I think they wear real good on the street. The only other tire I tried was the Metzler Karoo II and I liked them also, but they didn't last as long on the street. I will probably try the Pirelli next time just to see how they do. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SHANEDOGG

Posted March 09, 2004 - 07:40 PM

The thing I found out is that everyone has there own opinions and terrain varies everywhere. I'm sure if you use any of the brands people recommend you will be happy. I just went through this w/ my 650R and got a ton of responses. I went with the 756/739at f/r combo. They work decent for my terrain, but after 2 rides the rear is chewing up and cracking! Granted, they are off-road tires and you wouldn't use them. Anyway, I've heard the 606 is good. Good luck.

• qadsan

Posted March 09, 2004 - 08:10 PM

756/739at f/r combo

That's the same combo we used to use in Vegas a ways back. The 739at was OK, but didn't last very long for us. The Maxxis IT rear was similar in performance to the 739at (I thought it was significantly better and my brother-inlaw thought it was about the same), but the Maxxis IT rear lasted significantly longer for both of us and was much less expensive.

• slip

Posted March 10, 2004 - 03:54 AM

I am going to try out a Kenda K-270 on my L. These are a 50/50 tire. I have read good things about them. Chaparral has them at $35 for a rear. Right now I am running a IRC GP-110 on the rear, excellent tire on the road, so so off-road. :)

• Dual_Dog

Posted March 10, 2004 - 01:28 PM

I'm looking for a new rear tire for my XR650L where my riding is about 60% street and 40% off-road...Any recommendations for a decent rear tire that will suit my needs?

What don't you like about the stock Bridgestone Trail Wings, other than the fact that they wear down too quickly? They work great for street and can handle a fair amount of off-roading. I know because I recently swapped out my rear TW. I rode off-road on it a lot and on some of the same type of terrain you mentioned.

I ride 50/50 and now I'm running the D-606, and I ain't goin' back to no city slicker. This meat shreds just about anything, even sand. :D

Just a bit noisy on road, though. No problems with traction either on pavement. Plus super stiff sidewalls. You can probably run this one flat and not even know it! :)

• renegade13

Posted March 10, 2004 - 06:45 PM

What don't you like about the stock Bridgestone Trail Wings, other than the fact that they wear down too quickly?

I haven't formed any opinion about these tires. I just bought the bike used last week and it needs a new back tire so I thought I'd get opinions for a tire that fits my riding needs.

Thanks for your help :)

• Chorbelt

Posted March 12, 2004 - 05:14 AM

When I dual-sported more, I really liked the Pirelli MT-21. They wore really well, and had good traction (hard-pack).

I run on the street pretty limited now, just quick trips to the store (couple blocks) so I've stopped buying DOT tires, and am trying a Kenda Millville on Qadsan's advice (big brown truck dropped it off last night).

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.