oil filter change

9 replies to this topic
  • brayjay

Posted April 08, 2016 - 05:48 PM

Done three oil changes so far on the kids 08 wr450 and have been changing the oil filter every time so far. Curious if anyone is changing it every second oil change instead as the oil change intervals are so short.

• RMK800

Posted April 08, 2016 - 06:54 PM

I changed oil at 6 hours and filter every 3rd time.

• highmarker

Posted April 08, 2016 - 06:58 PM

Usually pull it out, inspect it for anything that shouldn't be on it., shove it back in.

• brayjay

Posted April 08, 2016 - 07:23 PM

Thanks. That is what I will start doing also.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 08, 2016 - 07:51 PM

If the oil is dirty, the filter is dirty.

You put in fresh oil and leave a dirty filter, the oil will not circulate as well, and the oil pressure will go up on one side of the filter.

This may cause the filter to 'lift' and activate the by-pass circuit (created by the spring under the filter).

If this happens, you are bypassing the oil filter completely, and circulating dirty oil throughout the motor.

So, fresh oil + dirty filter = no or only partial filtering of your oil

Not good.

Also, most paper oil filters only filter out 40% very fine of the debris in the oil (under 100 microns).

The rest stays in the oil. 

This size of debris is not clearly visible in the filter, but still does the same damage as visible debris.

If you leave the dirty filter in, the percentage of oil that is actually filtered GOES DOWN  and more dirty oil is circulated, because the paths of highest resistance (filtering) are compromised first.

Dirty oil is like sand blasting your motor from the inside....

gfx-micron-large.jpg

Edited by KRANNIE, April 08, 2016 - 07:57 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brayjay

Posted April 08, 2016 - 08:11 PM

Well yes you do have a very valid point. 

Edited by brayjay, April 08, 2016 - 08:15 PM.

• Bitteeinbit

Posted April 09, 2016 - 03:54 AM

So what filter do you recommend? I think changing it every time is overkill, and 6 hours is insane unless you're racing hard.  

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 09, 2016 - 05:54 AM

So what filter do you recommend? I think changing it every time is overkill, and 6 hours is insane unless you're racing hard. 

How hard you ride isn't really a determination of when to change it. 

It's more about dust and heat and load.

6 hours chasing your buddies in a silty sand wash, and yes, your oil and filters must be changed.

25 hours riding by your self dual sporting in no dust, and probaby you could go longer, but why risk it.

Modern motors hold less oil (especially the new WR/YZ !) so you also have to keep an eye on consumption.

50 cc of consumption between oil changes (or even in one ride...)  is not uncommon for someone who rides at higher rpms for long periods.

That's 8% of your total oil !

Knowing exactly how much oil is left inside the motor can only be acomplished by measuring the oil you remove...

Edited by KRANNIE, April 09, 2016 - 05:54 AM.

• toten

Posted April 09, 2016 - 07:28 AM

The new ones really only hold 600mL? Wow... I'm reading that the 400/426 are 1.6L and my steel frame is 1.1L. I guess they need to save every last ounce but for a WR I'd prefer an extra lb of oil.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 09, 2016 - 08:32 AM

The new ones really only hold 600mL? Wow... I'm reading that the 400/426 are 1.6L and my steel frame is 1.1L. I guess they need to save every last ounce but for a WR I'd prefer an extra lb of oil.

About 680cc

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.