Rust around spark plug?

4 replies to this topic
  • edareus

Posted March 21, 2002 - 10:53 PM

I just had to change my plug for the first time since I got this bike. It didn't foul I just thought I should replace it. I bought the bike used and when I took the spark plug boot off and the hole was full of moisture! How do I keep this from happening? Subsequently, the base of the plug was nothing but rust. Has anyone else had this problem. I didn't have any problems at all with the bike running so I hadn't checked the plug at all since I got the bike.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted March 21, 2002 - 10:57 PM

mine was the same. I just cleaned it out and am more careful when I wash it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_Lorenz

Posted March 21, 2002 - 11:01 AM

I had the same issue with my 00, the plug definetly is a holding place for moisture. This tells me one thing, the rubber Plug cover is Crap, so I fixed it. I use a semi hard Silicone Very very Little just around the bottom flap that rests on the Valve case. or if you are nimple enough a very small bead around it. It is very easy to peel off and stops water / mud and such from gettin in there. Remember to clean the Ruber and the Case when changing the plug. you do not want it to build up.

• Bill

Posted March 21, 2002 - 12:52 PM

You might want to consider the drain hole on the side of the barrel when washing the bike. Also at hicks suggestion, I use my air compressor to pressurize the hole (through the drain hole) where the plug is, to blow the cap off (instead of pulling the cap and possibly damaging the lead) and also to blow all the crap out before removing the plug.

Bill

• edareus

Posted March 22, 2002 - 09:31 AM

As always thanks guys, after I clean it out I will be more careful with the washer from now on. I will also use the drain hole to get the cap off from now on.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.