Hybrid WR/YZ426

6 replies to this topic
  • RooiBoer

Posted April 07, 2016 - 09:39 PM

I am new to this forum but already found so much useful information on the project I'm busy with. Thank you!

My 2002 WR426 had a heat seize and I got a 2002 YZ426 engine at a good price to replace it with.

I swapped the 2 engines out and installed the YZ CDI.

Valve clearances are fine, valve timing correct and spark test good.

The engine starts and idles perfectly but is slow at picking up revs and also start to backfire and run unevenly at higher rpm.

I did not get a carburettor with the YZ engine so is still using the WR carburettor.

Will this WR carb work as is or should I do modifications?

I am also still using the old sparkplug.

Edited by RooiBoer, April 07, 2016 - 09:43 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted April 08, 2016 - 05:59 AM

Does the engine just stumble a bit in response to opening the throttle and then otherwise accelerate normally?  You can usually tune that out.  Your carb should be usable, although a carb from any YZ450F would be a big improvement.

• RooiBoer

Posted April 08, 2016 - 06:47 AM

Does the engine just stumble a bit in response to opening the throttle and then otherwise accelerate normally?  You can usually tune that out.  Your carb should be usable, although a carb from any YZ450F would be a big improvement.

Initially the engine ran unevenly at higher revs but that is all sorted out now. I think it just needed some running in since the intake valves were new and there might have been too much air in fuel.

The engine now just stumbles when I open the accelerator fast. How do I tune this out?

I get much more backfire when I close the throttle compared to the WR engine. Not really a big problem by itself but can that be a symptom of a bigger problem?

Engine has good power!

Edited by RooiBoer, April 08, 2016 - 06:50 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 08, 2016 - 06:58 AM

"stumbles when I open the throttle fast"...

Does that happen when you are actually riding, or only sitting at a standstill revving up off idle?

• RooiBoer

Posted April 08, 2016 - 08:31 AM

"stumbles when I open the throttle fast"...

Does that happen when you are actually riding, or only sitting at a standstill revving up off idle?

Both conditions but more so when standing still

• toten

Posted April 08, 2016 - 08:33 AM

I've considered doing this to both my WR and YZ. The WR has a bit of a stumble when I open it quickly at speed (I don't know what it does at idle, I don't do that), and I haven't been able to tune it out. Would I want the same jetting as now? I need to start looking for carbs for the right price...

edit: what years are best? How are the quad carbs?

Edited by toten, April 08, 2016 - 08:37 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted April 08, 2016 - 08:47 AM

The quad carbs are like the WR carbs.  They're set up with an air cut system to be compatible with the air injection systems,  and that makes them a pain in the butt.  Any '03-'09 YZ450F carb is a near direct bolt-on fix, and the stock 450 jetting works great as a starting point.  The '05 - '09 carb is preferable because they are slightly more sophisticated internally and also have a leak jet that adds another tuning tool to your bag of tricks. 

You will need the hot start assembly, including the cable and lever/clutch perch, and the 450 throttle cables.  Try to get as much of that with the carb as you can.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.