- - - - -

2016 WR450 aftermarket Skid plate

• Please sign in to reply

32 replies to this topic
  • finbike

TT Member

79 posts

Posted August 09, 2016 - 06:58 AM

Yes, ordered it today. Hopefully I will get it before the weekend.

• finbike

TT Member

79 posts

Posted August 15, 2016 - 11:05 AM

1471287318729.jpg 1471287327128.jpg 1471287338598.jpg
Pics as promised! First impression is positive, only time and sharp-edged rocks will tell the truth. Stickers on a skidplate is kind of a joke, but decided to put them on just for you thumper talkers :)

Edited by finbike, August 15, 2016 - 10:47 PM.

• TwentyFive20

TT Bronze Member

114 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 19, 2016 - 11:43 AM

Yes I am running a 13-52.

Hey Steve - are you still running this? What do you think? I have a 52 ready to install. Also got a 12 in case I want to go even shorter. 

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,220 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 19, 2016 - 01:28 PM

Hey Steve - are you still running this? What do you think? I have a 52 ready to install. Also got a 12 in case I want to go even shorter.

A 52 is ok. You won't need a 12.

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,220 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 20, 2016 - 06:41 AM

attachicon.gif20160815_211231.jpgattachicon.gif20160815_211310.jpgattachicon.gif20160815_211404.jpg
Pics as promised! First impression is positive, only time and sharp-edged rocks will tell the truth. Stickers on a skidplate is kind of a joke, but decided to put them on just for you thumper talkers :)

The water pump coverage looks better than all the rest. I imagine you still have to pull the plate off to change the oil due to the rear bracket being so close to the drain bolt.

I sure wish they would have made the drain bolts so they were straight down facing. So all that it takes is a little hole in the skid plate for a socket. Come on "Yamaha you can do it".

• finbike

TT Member

79 posts

Posted August 20, 2016 - 10:09 AM

The water pump coverage looks better than all the rest. I imagine you still have to pull the plate off to change the oil due to the rear bracket being so close to the drain bolt.

I sure wish they would have made the drain bolts so they were straight down facing. So all that it takes is a little hole in the skid plate for a socket. Come on "Yamaha you can do it".

Yes the water pump is completely covered and thats one of the reasons i wanted to try it. It's not that much space between the pump and the skidplate tho, so it will touch the water pump when you smash the bike against a log or something. Hopefully it will absorb most of the impact so it wont break the water pump.

I gave a couple of good punches with the sledge hammer at the bottom of the skidplate and it's surprisingly stiff to be made of 6mm plastic, so I'm quite confident that the bottom area is well protected.

You are right about the oil change -skidplate will have to come off.

I'm a bit concerned about the aluminium 6mm threads that the skidplate is atatched to. After 200-300 hours run time I can't imagine those threads will be in good shape. It's often very muddy terrrain in my riding area so I have to take the skidplate off sometimes when I wash the bike, plus oil changes.

• brandonschmit

TT Newbie

8 posts

Posted August 21, 2016 - 05:22 AM

A 52 is ok. You won't need a 12.

I rode my 2016 WR450F for the first time yesterday on very rocky, technical, slow single track and felt it was geared way too high.  I know how to modulate the clutch and I still stalled it many times.  Is the 52 sufficient on really slow rocky sections for you?  I'm just curious what you typically ride as a gauge if I should also get a 12.  Anybody else out there run even lower gearing?  Also, any feedback on how chains wear with a 12 up front?

• stevethe

Get Help Now

5,220 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 21, 2016 - 01:01 PM

I ride about everything imaginable and well some things extreme. I'm not sure if your in first or second when it's too tall. The 52 should be good to go. Gearing it much lower doesn't make that much sense. 12 - 52 should be just too low for a 450. You could try it. It is a bit harder on the chain but still doable.

• SilvFx

TT Gold Member

1,425 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 23, 2016 - 03:08 PM

I rode my 2016 WR450F for the first time yesterday on very rocky, technical, slow single track and felt it was geared way too high.  I know how to modulate the clutch and I still stalled it many times.  Is the 52 sufficient on really slow rocky sections for you?  I'm just curious what you typically ride as a gauge if I should also get a 12.  Anybody else out there run even lower gearing?  Also, any feedback on how chains wear with a 12 up front?

Brandon, where were you riding at here in Colorado.  On an older WR450F, I run a 13/51 and I think my buddy runs 13/50 on his WR450F.  We both run the z-start pro rekluse which helps on rocky single track and they will climb just about anything with a rekluse.  Also you probably want to make sure you get the performance ECU and adjust the fuel map to something other than stock otherwise i suspect you will be stalling out in plenty of places.

When I bought my WR450F used, the prev owner was running 12/52 and that certainly felt way to low geared for my taste, but you can give it a try.

• brandonschmit

TT Newbie

8 posts

Posted August 23, 2016 - 05:28 PM

I am in Fort Collins and rode Donner Pass up Buckhorn Canyon. Maybe it was because I haven't ridden lately. Literally first day on a 4stroke and first trail riding experience versus riding motocross on my yz250 about ten years ago.

• TwentyFive20

TT Bronze Member

114 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted August 23, 2016 - 06:34 PM

I am in Fort Collins and rode Donner Pass up Buckhorn Canyon. Maybe it was because I haven't ridden lately. Literally first day on a 4stroke and first trail riding experience versus riding motocross on my yz250 about ten years ago.

I'm looking to lower 2nd, not first. I have no issues with first. I feel like I could climb trees in 1st with the stock gearing if my clutching was up to snuff (which to be clear it isn't).

I really want a *slightly* lower 2nd for highly technical single track. That's why I'm trying a 52.

I second the GYTR ECU and tuner - that made a huge difference for me this weekend.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,869 posts

Posted September 08, 2016 - 02:01 PM

I ran 12/51 for 2 years on my 2012 WR450F and loved it.  Chain life was fine.  People told me the swing arm chain protector would wear out prematurely, but it was fine too.  The 12 tooth sprocket wears out a bit faster than a 13, but they are cheap and easy to replace. 

I loved 12/51.  The 300 2 stroke boys were impressed where my big 4 stroke would go.

• TwentyFive20

TT Bronze Member

114 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 08, 2016 - 06:45 PM

I ran 12/51 for 2 years on my 2012 WR450F and loved it.  Chain life was fine.  People told me the swing arm chain protector would wear out prematurely, but it was fine too.  The 12 tooth sprocket wears out a bit faster than a 13, but they are cheap and easy to replace. 

I loved 12/51.  The 300 2 stroke boys were impressed where my big 4 stroke would go.

Hmmmmmmm. I do have both. Maybe I will try 'em this weekend. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.