2016 WR450 aftermarket Skid plate

32 replies to this topic
  • stevethe

Posted April 07, 2016 - 05:54 AM

So there isn't much available for the new bikes but Enduro Engineering makes one. Just a little warning on the back bolt that goes into the stock mount. Mine came with a button head allen that was too long as to go through the center case. So don't use it if yours comes with a long screw. the stock screw worked fine. Kind of a weird design the bolt is only used to center the skid plate bracket anyways.

skid%202_zpsody2prbi.jpg

skid_zpsbv1spd1k.jpg

• foggy3061

Posted April 09, 2016 - 10:29 AM

So there isn't much available for the new bikes but Enduro Engineering makes one. Just a little warning on the back bolt that goes into the stock mount. Mine came with a button head allen that was too long as to go through the center case. So don't use it if yours comes with a long screw. the stock screw worked fine. Kind of a weird design the bolt is only used to center the skid plate bracket anyways.

That looks a well made skid plate!

Where's best to buy from (has the 2016 version in stock), enduro engineering themselves or Rocky mountain?

• stevethe

Posted April 09, 2016 - 11:51 AM

Rocky Mountain atv had it in stock and was less expensive.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 09, 2016 - 12:02 PM

Did you change your gearing Steve ?

• stevethe

Posted April 09, 2016 - 12:13 PM

Did you change your gearing Steve ?

Yes I am running a 13-52.

• gize

Posted April 09, 2016 - 01:40 PM

That's good looking Steve. I was looking at a carbon fiber version that looks pretty sweet. Wondering how it will hold up vs metal though.

• stevethe

Posted April 09, 2016 - 01:48 PM

Didn't go with the carbon because they get so beat up in rocks. I prefer the Moose racing pro plastic but they don't make them yet.

• Chaconne

Posted April 09, 2016 - 03:42 PM

skid%202_zpsody2prbi.jpg

skid_zpsbv1spd1k.jpg

Looks great.

I have had mounting and bolt issues with almost all aftermarket skids on different brands of bikes too. EE, Devol, and Moose have all had mounting pains in one way or the other.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 09, 2016 - 07:27 PM

Anyone come up with a quick release system that works?

• stevethe

Posted April 09, 2016 - 08:15 PM

Anyone come up with a quick release system that works?

That would be nice. Every time you change the oil the skid plate has to come off.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted April 10, 2016 - 05:10 AM

That would be nice. Every time you change the oil the skid plate has to come off.

I'm working on the concept.

Dzus 1/2 turn's that would fit through the threaded mounts.

• Chaconne

Posted April 10, 2016 - 05:23 PM

The coming off is the easy part the going back on is what I hate. The OEM plate for the WR goes off/on easy but it won't stop rocks like the EE skid you have.

• stevethe

Posted April 11, 2016 - 05:46 AM

The coming off is the easy part the going back on is what I hate. The OEM plate for the WR goes off/on easy but it won't stop rocks like the EE skid you have.

The stock skid plate doesn't go back far enough to protect the frame rails.

The EE skid plate has a bracket that goes above the back frame mount. You center it with a 6mm bolt only as it is then still loose just sitting on the top. Then the two 6mm flush mount skid plate screws go in from the bottom and clamp it down. = Bigger pain. But good protection to the underside. The water pump still appears vulnerable if it got hit that high up. I might have a piece welded on to cover it.

• chelder

Posted May 05, 2016 - 07:45 PM

This one should be in the Mods thread! Looks a tough skid plate

• foggy3061

Posted May 29, 2016 - 08:06 AM

I ended up modifying my Enduro Engineering skid plate to give the casings a better chance of surviving a rock strike. The waterpump could still do with a little more side impact protection. I agree the rear mounting is a nuisance to use but solid once bolted up.

20160528_152838_zps2sozmkgo.jpg

20160528_155222_zpswfnjulja.jpg

20160528_152857_zpsvwfnkshg.jpg

20160528_153023_zpsvr8xcb7t.jpg

20160528_153040_zpsqwydx5sl.jpg

• Ghazzah

Posted May 30, 2016 - 11:24 PM

Nice job. Have a look at the B&B product (Australia). Super impressed. Gazza.

http://www.thumperta...2#entry13124406

• foggy3061

Posted June 01, 2016 - 06:52 AM

Nice job. Have a look at the B&B product (Australia). Super impressed. Gazza.

http://www.thumperta...2#entry13124406

That looks like a solid skid plate Gaz! The separate water pump guard is different idea!

• finbike

Posted August 06, 2016 - 08:33 AM

Is Enduro Enginering still the only alternative or have some other company made a decent skidplate yet? Managed to get a hole in the OEM skidplate and rip away the rear disc guard in todays ride in rocky terrain so I am in need of some new protection! EE skidplate looks great so if there is no other alternative it's an easy pick.

• finbike

Posted August 09, 2016 - 06:27 AM

So, decided to be the guinea pig and try this HDPE plastic stuff. Hope I wont be dissapointed. At least it looks to give great coverage on the right side.

yamaha-wr450f-blue-2016.jpg

• stevethe

Posted August 09, 2016 - 06:36 AM

So, decided to be the guinea pig and try this HDPE plastic stuff. Hope I wont be dissapointed. At least it looks to give great coverage on the right side.
yamaha-wr450f-blue-2016.jpg

See if you can give us a pic with it installed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.