4 stroke riding tips.

3 replies to this topic
  • yz250fmotox

Posted March 21, 2002 - 04:44 AM

What riding styles/tips made you faster on a four stroke? The reason I am asking is because I was having problems on my 02 250f getting through the tight corners, seemed slower then I used to on a 2 stroke. I was talking to someone about this and they told me I have to ride a 4 stroke a little different in the corners and to leave the clutch out and use the engine brake and then get back on the gas to get out of the corner, I tried it and it really helped. What other tips can you guys provide.

• oldnbold

Posted March 21, 2002 - 05:59 AM

What works for me are incorporating lines that are similar to formula 1 race cars. Specifically, approaching a corner outside-inside-outside. This makes my corner longer in distance but I'm able to brake later, brake less and get back on the gas sooner. On sweeper corners my braking is usually a downshift or quick rear brake tap to make a weight transfer to the front tire while moving forward and getting easily on the gas in the torque part of the powercurve through the corner while gradually pulling the trigger on exit. Very smooth and fast with little loss of speed.

While riding a bud's stock 250f last week I couldn't do this as well because the springs are too soft for my 210#'s. The bike wanted to squat using this corner method and the front would drift and be very inaccurate. Slowing the rear high speed helped but not enough. My 426 is set up much better and doesn't squat, just tracks straight.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_Lorenz

Posted March 21, 2002 - 07:09 AM

:D Ya thats a good question, I have ridden one Lungers all me Life had had 2 strks also. I think the main differance is learning to compinsate for the weight distribution when cornering. Obviuos the Thumper has more inertia going into a corner then a two stroke I think also the ride height is there too. So with that the thumper has more a tendancy to try and (My Term) Giro out of the corner leaning more upright.

Solution Set the Corner up a little sooner, A little more wider diving deeper into the apex, Once in the apex bang the throttle smoothly but with aggression (AKA Roll on) let the torque drive the bike out. Once you get used to it you will find your cornering will be much faster and smoother

:) :D

• Fastline

Posted March 22, 2002 - 12:35 PM

Because the bike is heavier than a 2-stroke the front break is more effective in slowing you down. Therefore a rider can charge harder into a corner, but try to get most of the breaking done Before you start to turn and roll on the throttle near the exit.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.