Replacing Chain and Sprockets

7 replies to this topic
  • Regalman

Posted April 06, 2016 - 04:43 AM

So, I have 2009 WR450 and it and the owners manual is at the cabin.  I want to purchase a new chain and sprockets.  I did some searching, but wasn't sure what my gearing, chain size and number of links is stock.  With the mix of riding I do, I'm fine with the stock setup.

Thanks in advance.

• stevethe

Posted April 06, 2016 - 04:59 AM

Usually you can punch bike type in Rocky Mountain atv and they will get you what fits. But what you should get is a 520 X-ring chain 13 tooth sprocket and a 50 tooth on the rear. Most people just buy a 120 link chain and cut it to fit.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 06, 2016 - 05:47 AM

^ yes if you buy a 120 it's cheaper than getting it cut to fit for you.

Recommended: JT sprockets

Sun Sprockets

Sunline Sprockets

DID VT-2 chain (premium X ring chain) < lasts hundreds of hours....

Skip the aluminum stuff......

• Regalman

Posted April 06, 2016 - 07:19 AM

Thanks guys.

Just in case I can find one cheap, what is the correct number of links?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR-Josh

Posted April 06, 2016 - 07:36 AM

114 according to manual  (113+joint)

WR450F 09

• Arctic Pride

Posted April 06, 2016 - 08:09 AM

your sprocket should be stamped, if you bought the bike used it may have been changed by the PO

• 2strokeYardSale

Posted April 06, 2016 - 09:36 AM

I just did my 2007 chain and sprockets, 13-50, replaced with 14-50 and 116 link chain.

• Regalman

Posted April 07, 2016 - 06:37 AM

Thanks everyone.  I did buy my bike new, but it and the manual are 100 miles away from home.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.