Help Help....

10 replies to this topic
  • TumblinDown

Posted April 05, 2016 - 07:40 PM

Went out for a ride this evening.  Late in the ride took a hard shot to the underside of the bike.  Immediately a ticking sound (loud), with the clutch in, in gear and sitting still.  I put it in neutral and the sound went away when I released the clutch.  Put it back in gear and the sound was immediately back.  Ridable although I took it real easy coming out.  Please, any ideas about what I could have jarred loose?  Planning an 5 day ride to Moab area this weekend and this is going to stop it in its tracks.  Have tomorrow to fix it before going back to work.  I'm not sure if I could upload a video or not (with sound) to this thread that may help.  Try tomorrow if I can.

• TumblinDown

Posted April 06, 2016 - 05:36 AM

I have gone back a read about various 'ticking' noises with similar bikes.  The difference I seem to run into (no pun intended) is that mine arrived acutely when I hit a rock on the underside.  Any thoughts?

• Iceman88

Posted April 06, 2016 - 06:16 AM

Hi tumblindown can you see any dent in the undercarriage?

• grayracer513

Posted April 06, 2016 - 06:32 AM

Is there any damage to the outside of the clutch cover?

• TumblinDown

Posted April 06, 2016 - 06:43 AM

Is there any damage to the outside of the clutch cover?

Yes, the bottom most bolt position appears to have been the spot that was hit.  That metal appears to have been removed as the one bolt just in front of the brake lever.  I can see that damage but am wondering what the ticking is (best guess)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 06, 2016 - 06:51 AM

Well, let's see... The clutch cover is bent, and it makes noise when you pull the clutch lever (which causes the pressure plate of the clutch to move toward the cover).  What's your best guess?

I'm going with the pressure plate contacting the inside of the cover because the clutch cover and/or the right side crankcase cover got pushed in.  If nothing leaks, you may be able to simply grind in a little extra clearance on the inside of the cover and get things quieted down.

• Iceman88

Posted April 06, 2016 - 08:16 AM

I agree grayracer. We could have a block bend here.

• grayracer513

Posted April 06, 2016 - 08:48 AM

"Block"?  There is no block.  The main crankcases are fairly well protected, too, and no part of them is adjacent to the clutch pressure plate when it lifts. 

• RockerYZWR

Posted April 06, 2016 - 12:12 PM

When you take the clutch cover off, look for the worn shiny spot on the bottom. Grind it away like Grayracer said, but I would also have a stick of Quik Steel (or equivalent) on hand to be ready to patch it up. It'll at least get you through your upcoming ride and you can get to the permanent fix afterwards. Good to keep that stuff in the toolbox anyway.
515-zXeSg7L._AC_UL320_SR220,320_.jpg

• RMK800

Posted April 06, 2016 - 08:15 PM

When you take the clutch cover off, look for the worn shiny spot on the bottom. Grind it away like Grayracer said, but I would also have a stick of Quik Steel (or equivalent) on hand to be ready to patch it up. It'll at least get you through your upcoming ride and you can get to the permanent fix afterwards. Good to keep that stuff in the toolbox anyway.
515-zXeSg7L._AC_UL320_SR220,320_.jpg

Ya no kidding, I'm putting that as standard equipment! Got 45 miles out in Moab and my 10 year old cased his crf110. Bent the oil plug back and cracked the case... Stupid dad taking him down things he shouldn't be :). I new it right there... Turned his bike over.... If I had the quik steel would have saved a lot of time....had to ride all the way out and then go to auto parts for quik steel and come all the way back. Stuff worked awesome. Fun day!

Edited by RMK800, April 06, 2016 - 08:18 PM.

• TumblinDown

Posted April 07, 2016 - 02:52 AM

Thanks for the replies all. Yes, it did bend the clutch cover ever so slightly. There was no damage through the cover luckily. I was able to take a Dremel and remove a small bit of metal. Cleaned it all up and changed the oil. Seems to have worked. I did order another cover since that entire bolt was exposed.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.