Dr D Head pipe update

3 replies to this topic
  • The Hedgehog

Posted April 05, 2016 - 07:21 AM

I recently installed a new Dr D head pipe on my 2011. I started with the slip on so I had to order direct from Dr D (for some reason nobody sold just the header).

They addressed the oil filter clearance issue (which frankly did not bother me). I would have been fine with the bigger bend. It is a few mm larger than stock but seems to flow a good bit better.

It was fairly easy other than removing the alum collar they use to neck down the slip on for the stock header. I can offer a few pointers on that trick if anyone is cool without using that collar again.

My seat of the pants dyno notices it. It has a less abrupt pull off the bottom with more in the mid range.

I mostly did it in anticipation of future mods. It was still a worthwhile move.

• jimmym

Posted April 05, 2016 - 09:49 AM

I'm thinking of getting the new head pipe just to alleviate the oil-filter clearance issue What pointers can you offer?

Also, how much did they ding you for the replacement pipe?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The Hedgehog

Posted April 06, 2016 - 01:52 AM

I'm thinking of getting the new head pipe just to alleviate the oil-filter clearance issue What pointers can you offer?

Also, how much did they ding you for the replacement pipe?

Maybe $220 or something like that. Dubach did not have any in stock but they made another. It took a couple of weeks.

Edited by The Hedgehog, April 06, 2016 - 02:16 AM.

• The Hedgehog

Posted April 10, 2016 - 05:30 AM

I ran it on a bunch of single track in the Tn mountains yesterday. It really made a difference. It took that off idle jump and smoothed it into more of a strong surge. I was able to tractor up steep tight hills in almost a lazy fashion as opposed to the cat on a hot tin roof approach I had to take before. It basically finishes the jog where the slip on left off. I did not get to see what it did to the top end. There was not enough open terrain for that.

Yeah, just buy the combo when you get them. You will be pleased.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.