Tank repair

14 replies to this topic
  • Iceman88

Posted April 05, 2016 - 05:30 AM

Hi Guys
I recently got a second hand yz426f what a machine. only issue is the tank had cracks on either side. I've decided to go with fibre glass to fix them. Good idea? Your input will be appreciated

• Iceman88

Posted April 05, 2016 - 05:33 AM

Also is it normal for the bike to be so loud. I'll get more info and pics of the bike and exhaust. Maybe you guys can give me some points to look for. I came from a quad and street bike backround so still pretty new.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 05, 2016 - 05:53 AM

Just buy a new or used tank, there should be oodles of them on Ebay.

• grayracer513

Posted April 05, 2016 - 06:42 AM

Fiberglass won't work.  In fact, I don't think anything does.

When you say loud, do you mean the exhaust or the mechanicals?  The muffler probably needs re-packing.  The engines normally sound like a convention of pipe fitters.

• Iceman88

Posted April 05, 2016 - 07:47 AM

Thanks guys unfortunately I live in south Africa parts are a mission to get hold of and the cheapest tank is R4000 don't suppose you could send me one cheaper?

• Iceman88

Posted April 05, 2016 - 07:49 AM

The exhaust is where the noise comes from so I assume the muffler. She also backfires on gearing down or raving to to high and closing the throttle. Is this a major issue I should be worried about?

• grayracer513

Posted April 05, 2016 - 09:40 AM

Properly jetted and dialed in, with no exhaust leaks, the big YZ's will backfire or crackle "some" on deceleration.  If it's a lot, or it's all the time, your idle is lean or you have air getting into the exhaust.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Iceman88

Posted April 06, 2016 - 06:12 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I've tried fibre glass anyway. No harm no foul. So I'll update on the weekend how it went. Thank you for all the advise grayracer and the others who have contributed. This is definitely the place to be for advise. Ride hard and ride long guys.

• Iceman88

Posted April 12, 2016 - 11:38 AM

Hey guys well like you said grayracer513 fibre glass didn't take. So it's off to get a new tank this weekend. At least I tried.

• Iceman88

Posted April 12, 2016 - 11:40 AM

Check the muffler as well it looks bad inside rusted. Is there anything I can do there to repair or rejuvenate? Or best to start looking for a new one? I'll send pics as soon as I can may help a bit.

• faisaldawa

Posted April 14, 2016 - 04:20 AM

I did epoxy to my tank and it still working perfectly for 3 months 

• PNW Thumper

Posted April 25, 2016 - 07:22 AM

Had the same issue with my tank. Tried epoxy, I tried fiberglass, and even tried plastic weld. All failed fairly quickly. Maybe because of crack size and location, maybe because my tank prep wasn't good enough. Apparently there is an expensive market for them. New ones are $200 - $250 for over sized after markets. Used stockers are around $175-$200 used on eBay. I found one in Utah for $125 but it was local pickup only and they weren't willing to ship.

• toten

Posted April 25, 2016 - 07:27 AM

I was dumb and managed to melt a hole in the bottom of an aftermarket tank because I didn't have enough clearance between the Powerbomb header and the tank... sadly, it sounds like I should just trash the tank. 

PNW Thumper, what bike are you looking for a tank for? 

• PNW Thumper

Posted April 25, 2016 - 08:38 AM

Well, I picked one up but it's a 426f

• toten

Posted April 25, 2016 - 09:38 AM

PMd you.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.