Got My Plate Today

12 replies to this topic
  • falconjet

Posted April 04, 2016 - 03:24 PM

Woo Hoo and Yea Buddy.

Got my plate today.

Last week I could not even spell Dual Sport...Now I are one.

The Sierras are a calling.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1646.JPG

• falconjet

Posted April 05, 2016 - 06:34 AM

Really surprised this did not generate a bunch of "How did you do it in California" questions.

• toten

Posted April 05, 2016 - 08:18 AM

I just saw that and was about to ask that... I'd love to pick up a cheap aluminum frame EFI WR to replace my 03 supermoto.

• jamesm113

Posted April 05, 2016 - 01:02 PM

I'll bite. :)  How did you do it?

• falconjet

Posted April 06, 2016 - 06:52 AM

I'll bite. :)  How did you do it?

Rolled my own light install. Did not go the Baja Designs or Tusk prefab route.

A buddy owns a shop and he wrote me a brake and light inspection form to take to DMV.

Now here is the kicker...choose carefully which DMV you go to.

The first attempt I went to the big local one and got shot down. The guy who did the inspection of my bike was a real "Deputy Dog" I think he enjoyed busting my balls.

He dinged me for not having an odometer, trip meter not good enough. And did not have a federal highway safety sticker.

A couple of days later after licking my wounds I drove an hour and 20 to an outlying small town DMV. Only had a 10 minute wait before they called my number.

Their inspector did not get into the back of my truck to have a look. He had me read the VIN and engine numbers to him. Then said "Your stickers are probably under the seat" and that was it.

Went back inside, paid $97, completed the process and walked out with a plate.

Rather be lucky than good.

Edited by falconjet, April 07, 2016 - 06:46 AM.

• toten

Posted April 06, 2016 - 12:28 PM

I've heard of people getting plates and later getting yanked, I hope that doesn't happen to you. 

My WR got a plate because it was previously plated in Texas and came in with "7500" miles (or a few more), which is an exemption to meeting CA emissions requirements.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted April 06, 2016 - 12:44 PM

Rolled my own light install. Did not go the Baja Designs or Tusk prefab route.

A buddy owns a shop and he wrote me a brake and light inspection form to take to DMV.

Now here is the kicker...choose carefully which DMV you go to.

The first attempt I went to the big local one and got shot down. The guy who did the inspection of my bike was a real "Deputy Dog" I think he enjoyed busting my balls.

He dinged me for not having an odometer, trip meter not good enough. And did not have a federal highway safety sticker.

A couple of days later after licking my wounds I drove an hour and 20 to an outlying small town DMV. Only had a 10 minute wait before they called my number.

Their inspector did not get into the back of my truck to have a look. He had me read the VIN and engine numbers to him. Then said "Your stickers are probably under the seat" and that was it.

Went back inside, paid $97, completed the process and walked out with a plate.

Rather be lucky than good.

Did you get a copy of the signed and stamped State and Federal EPA compliance form ?

• falconjet

Posted April 06, 2016 - 04:25 PM

Did you get a copy of the signed and stamped State and Federal EPA compliance form ?

Nope. Did not see one.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 06, 2016 - 04:25 PM

Nope. Did not see one.

Then it's not permanent

• AtomicGeo

Posted April 06, 2016 - 05:37 PM

Pessimist...my brother in law has had his CA plated WR for 5 years w/o any stinking stamped form.

• stevethe

Posted April 06, 2016 - 05:47 PM

I know a gal with a plated Razer thingy. No issues. Once they get your plated registration money every year it's addicting to them.

• toten

Posted April 06, 2016 - 06:19 PM

And I know someone who had a plate yanked on a WR, he got it shortly after they stopped officially allowing them. For all I know they don't look now.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 06, 2016 - 06:32 PM

Pessimist...my brother in law has had his CA plated WR for 5 years w/o any stinking stamped form.

I didn't say it will be revoked......but the paperwork is not complete, so it can be.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.