Any tips on making bike clean-up easier???

16 replies to this topic
  • ColdChillin

Posted March 09, 2004 - 05:30 AM

I realize that this is a dirt bike, but I still like to keep things clean. I got the bike REAL muddy this past Sunday, but I washed it as soon as I unloaded off the trailer. I then realized how hard it was to get the thing clean in all the spots that are hard to get to, especially around the engine.

Do you guys do anything special to make clean-up easier? I've heard some 4-wheeler guys talk about spraying WD-40 all over everything. They say it makes clean-up easier and helps prevent rusting. Any of you guys do this? Just thought I'd ask because as I said, I do like to keep my bikes clean. It makes maintenance easier, and you can spot potential problems faster when the bike isn't all caked over with mud and dirt.

• thumper447

Posted March 09, 2004 - 05:56 AM

Yeah purple power, a tire brush, and some elbow grease! Just don't let the purple power dry b/c it will look worse than before you started. I like to spray my whole bike with water before applying the purple power. Be careful if you use a pressure washer, b/c it will blow off graphics and force water into the bearing races. Just remember to service the bearings more often if you use pressure. I spray my bike's crucial pivot points (pegs, kick start pivot, chain, rear brake pivot, etc) with wd-40 after a wash to keep it from rusting. If I know I am racing in mud, I will spray under the fenders to keep the mud buildup down, unless you're loaded, be conservative with it. It makes a bike look good to cover it, but atracts dust.

• ColdChillin

Posted March 09, 2004 - 06:14 AM

Kewl, that sounds like a good routine. Thanks........ :)

• DirtDobber

Posted March 09, 2004 - 06:22 AM

It's simple..... a product called "Simple Green". Keeps your bike looking prestine!
I use it exclusively!
Just use a hand spray bottle with Simple Green full strength and spray down the bike. If you have large globs of mud, then rinse the bike down first before you apply.
Let it sit for a couple of minutes, then hose it off. It will look like brand new, or at least as good as it did before you mudded it up.
Works for me.
DD :)

• ColdChillin

Posted March 09, 2004 - 06:28 AM

Simple Green is some good stuff for sure. Have you ever used Crown Power Spray?(? I think that's the name ?) I've been getting it at Wal-Mart for years and it appears to work as good as simple green, and it is much cheaper.

• ColdChillin

Posted March 09, 2004 - 06:32 AM

My bad,...it's Crown SPRAY POWER. :) Pretty good stuff IMHO.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted March 09, 2004 - 10:53 AM

I second the Power Purple. I use a ZEP spray bottle I bought at Home Depot and cut it with water at about a 5:1 ratio. First rinse the bike off, then apply it liberally. Rinse it off then do it again. Very little scrubbing is necessary. If I do have to scrub, I use regular car wash soap and one of those scrubby sponges like you use on car windshields (not scotchbrite, althought the unpainted aluminum surfaces do real well with that or 0000 steel wool). I use my leaf blower to blow off all the water, then start it up to dry off the engine completely. It takes only about 20 minutes to get it looking real clean again.

• jchantzWR400F

Posted March 09, 2004 - 11:05 AM

I think that Grease Lightning works just as well as anything. Use full strenght in a spray bottle. Don't let it set for more that 2 minutes. It even cleans those hard to reach hubs and sprockets.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DOGBITE

Posted March 09, 2004 - 11:23 AM

Don't ride it ! :) There is some silicon spray that Motul makes ,spray it on before riding,and use simple green to clean it after.

• dolfan

Posted March 09, 2004 - 11:46 AM

I rinse bike of heavy mud, then use the purple stuff , spary bike let sit a couple mins, then rinse, let dry, then all plastic gets a treament of that 2000 stuff, like armoural, thats keeps plastic looking good, and helps with the next cleaning, mud falls right off when your washing...
Bob
:)

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted March 09, 2004 - 04:43 PM

Simple Green. There is no substitute. Actually Simple Green is cheaper than anything else you can buy. It is a concentrate. If you have not diluted Simple Gree, try it. Water is a catylist for Simple Green. A 10:1 dilution for cleaning your bike is plenty, and at that rate your looking at less than $.75 a bottle :)
To top it off, SG is biodegradable and completely non toxic, if the kids chuck it down, no trip to the hospital needed!!

• emcdan

Posted March 09, 2004 - 05:14 PM

Here's the key. Clean your bike...I mean clean. If you have time use a small brush or toothbrush and get it looking show room new. Get all the dirt off..out of cracks and crevices. Then wax it. Double the wax under the fenders, under tank/shrouds, frame. If you take the time, mud will come off easy after your next ride. It will last through alot of mud rides. In between thorough cleanings, use "tire wet" all over the bike (except seat).

• JVP

Posted March 09, 2004 - 05:38 PM

Simple Green is the best stuff to use! 50/50 ratio. It is also bio-degradable, so your neighbor can't complain when all that mud goes down the drain. I use the Honda(I Know, I Know) spray polish on the plastics and WD40 on the metal. It seems to work well and the bike is easy to clean.

• dolfan

Posted March 09, 2004 - 10:48 PM

Is the simple green in a can or spray bottle, the stuff I seen for cleaning bikes was a can, the spray bottle stuff was the household cleaning, ie, kitchen cleaner,bathroom kinda cleaning stuff, is that what you use or the can?
Bob
:)

• ColdChillin

Posted March 10, 2004 - 02:26 AM

Good info guys, I will definitely try some of these methods out on the WR. :)

• WRSTEVE

Posted March 10, 2004 - 12:27 PM

It's simple..... a product called "Simple Green". Keeps your bike looking prestine!
I use it exclusively!
Just use a hand spray bottle with Simple Green full strength and spray down the bike. If you have large globs of mud, then rinse the bike down first before you apply.
Let it sit for a couple of minutes, then hose it off. It will look like brand new, or at least as good as it did before you mudded it up.
Works for me.
DD :)

I 2nd Simple Green :D
Works excellent :D :D

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted March 10, 2004 - 01:31 PM

You can get Simple Green in a spray bottle or a can. Works great either way. Foams a little better from the can though.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.