2016 WR First time hitting dirt!

7 replies to this topic
  • gize

Posted April 03, 2016 - 08:53 PM

Hey guys, thought I'd drop in and share with you what I learned from my first date with my WR in dirt, after a long pavement-only-month-of- waiting. Glad I broke the bike in on pavement as I believe in the aggressive break-in method (as many have read about online). It was easier to hit all the ranges and speeds on the open road vs. my rookie riding off-road. Couple things to mention, if you've read some of my other posts on my bike, you'll know that after reading all these "my 16 WR is a beast" threads, I was left disappointed, even after removing the throttle stop and adding a gytr pipe. After reading all the reviews, I fully planned on hitting my back to dirt the second I hit half throttle; this did not happen.. But instead,I was left a little frustrated. Once my competition ECU arrived and got mapped and installed at about the same time as I removed the air box funnel/tea-kettle/splash-guard. I then noticed more power but wondered if it was in my head..

After getting the 16 WR in the dirt, I can say, I was impressed. It put a huge smile on my face, and I was never want of power. When I rode on the pavement it seemed the gearing was super low and the acceleration seemed lacking considering that. I wasn't expecting anything matching my squid bullet biking stint but was expecting better..

Having said all the above, and I do say this specifically for those considering buying a 2016WR. When I got the 16 out on the dirt, she was home, and I was home, and my riding skills, were not worthy.. She had tons of power, I rarely left 1st and 2nd gear. The terrain was Utah's 5mile-pass, which is small hills, multiple sections of choppy rocks and dirt on occasional steep inclines (you know the type where you have to choose a line and maintain traction, or you stall out), and to my demise, the larger rocks seemed to be on the hilly slopes I was begging for traction on.

My brother recently purchased a very clean 2012 YZ450R. He rode with me. We swapped bikes at one point. He instantly began praising the WR. He said his bike was a Ferrari and mine was a 16 Cadillac.I was impressed as I rode his 2012 race bike with all kinds of mods, honestly,it felt faster than mine at higher rpms, but I'd didn't get a trail bike to win races. One huge thing to note, as it was very important for the ultimate enjoyment experience. My brother kept stalling out. Each time he had to kick start it took on average of 5mins waiting. His bike wouldn't seem to start until it sat for 2 mins or so. On that topic, love my electric start, tried kick starting three times about 10 or so kicks, no throttle and never starts.. electric start? Starts instantly.. pretty sure my bro wanted to punch me in my face on more than one electric start occassion. It truly helped me understand how awesome electric start is.

Sorry for being so long, but these are very frank impressions from a novice on the 16 WR, I hope it helps others that are curious about the 16 vs. other bikes. May your successful wheelies find youtube!

• RMK800

Posted April 03, 2016 - 09:20 PM

Nice review. Now go get that bike on some real dirt and go down to Cherry Creek and ride the single track. 5 mile is a good test for rocks :)

• gize

Posted April 04, 2016 - 08:26 AM

Nice review. Now go get that bike on some real dirt and go down to Cherry Creek and ride the single track. 5 mile is a good test for rocks :)

Thanks RMK, I hadn't heard of it, looks like a great place to ride. I was happy to see it's not too far from SLC also. Might be my next run! 

• RMK800

Posted April 04, 2016 - 08:37 AM

Thanks RMK, I hadn't heard of it, looks like a great place to ride. I was happy to see it's not too far from SLC also. Might be my next run! 

Cherry Creek is where they run the National Hare & Hound.  They use to to do it twice a year because its so good.   Its over 50 miles of desert single track.  It really is amazing.   You can't even get an ATV on it, plus you can stop off at RockyMTN on the way as a bonus :)  

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gize

Posted April 04, 2016 - 09:11 AM

Cherry Creek is where they run the National Hare & Hound.  They use to to do it twice a year because its so good.   Its over 50 miles of desert single track.  It really is amazing.   You can't even get an ATV on it, plus you can stop off at RockyMTN on the way as a bonus :)

So I kind of recruited a few family members to invest in a dirt bike this year, haha. So likewise I'm kind of in charge of finding places to go and leading the way.  Are their trails for different skill levels at this location? Is it still covered in snow this time of year? Considering camping over night if warm enough in a couple weeks?

• RMK800

Posted April 04, 2016 - 10:54 AM

Yes you can ride it now. Lots of places to camp. It's right on the border of little Sahara sand dunes. Just north of it. It can handle all levels of riders. It has a lot of verity of terrain, it is desert riding. There a ton of trails all through it. You really don't have to follow one. I would bring a gps, because you can get out there and it look the same. There are places for atv, but the main single tracks are not allowed. I would take you out there, but I live in Logan. I try to get out there as much as I can. I definitely prefer it over the Knolls, knolls can be really sandy, which is a challenge for the younger riders. Knolls is worth checking out though to ride. Head towards wendover.

Edited by RMK800, April 04, 2016 - 10:57 AM.

• gize

Posted April 04, 2016 - 02:21 PM

Yes you can ride it now. Lots of places to camp. It's right on the border of little Sahara sand dunes. Just north of it. It can handle all levels of riders. It has a lot of verity of terrain, it is desert riding. There a ton of trails all through it. You really don't have to follow one. I would bring a gps, because you can get out there and it look the same. There are places for atv, but the main single tracks are not allowed. I would take you out there, but I live in Logan. I try to get out there as much as I can. I definitely prefer it over the Knolls, knolls can be really sandy, which is a challenge for the younger riders. Knolls is worth checking out though to ride. Head towards wendover.

thanks for the tips!  I have been to knolls but I was just a wee lad then, don't remember much.  I am liking the sound of Cherry Creek though, I plan on going there soon.  Thanks again!

• gize

Posted May 15, 2016 - 03:20 PM

250 mile flow-up report! Just got back from my 4th or 5th all day dirt day and had a blast. As I have humbly admitted before, I am a dirt bike rookie. But after 250 miles on this bike, I swear it gained more power this last trip around 200 miles. I'm sure it's that and me getting more comfortable with the throttle. All I have done is the standard uncorking and fmf pipe with map and this bike rocks. Just getting comfortable enough to pull little babies wheelies through drops and ripping on a handful of throttle in the straights. Cant say enough how pleased iam with this bike. Don't have any dirt bikes to compare it to but been on please type of street bikes to respect the power of this bike. Looking forward to expanding my near nonexistent skills but am loving the path one the way. Just did. You third oil change at just under 250 miles. Noticed a lot (maybe 20 to 30) tiny lite metal shavings in the oil drain pan. If it was gold rush, I would be starting my mining operation with all those flakes. I don't remember seeing that many during my first two oil changes. I expected the most during the first or even second oil change. Is this normal guys? Doing my very best to get this bike to last for several years and want to do the right thing so please share any advice.

So yeah, still loving the new ride, I choose to continue my dirt therapy, and fully appreciate all the great info and stories you guys have shared here in TT. Cheers to happy and safe riding!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.