Stallin

14 replies to this topic
  • allryder

Posted April 03, 2016 - 02:54 PM

I KEEP STALLING. So I think there is something wrong with my clutch. Since I bought it I have hated the heavy clutch pull and the way it engages. If I am going too slow for a gear it will make a terrible noise like cracking. Clutch cable was recently lubed. The bike pulls a good amount when stopped in gear with clutch lever pulled in. I keep adjusting the cable but it's not helping. When I go slow it stalls an obnoxiously large amount of times. Any ideas on what the issue is?

• daniel1313

Posted April 03, 2016 - 03:08 PM

It could be dis-engaging or not engaging all the way.

• motocrotts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 05:46 AM

Have you looked at your clutch basket? It could be grooved and causing the plates to hang up. Not completely disengaging thus causing your stall. Check the clutch arm and push rod for wear also. Check the fingers on the basket and report back. The year of your bike and hrs on it would help.

• grayracer513

Posted April 04, 2016 - 06:38 AM

The "terrible noise" is the rear chain slapping on the swing arm.  It's a normal result of lugging the bike.

If the bike pulls while in gear at a standstill, and is difficult to find neutral at an idle, the clutch is failing to release, or disengage completely.  The cause of that is usually the steel plates are no longer truly flat.  Notches in the clutch basket fingers and/or the clutch boss (hub) can make it worse, as can springs unevenly worn. 

• allryder

Posted April 04, 2016 - 07:14 AM

Have you looked at your clutch basket? It could be grooved and causing the plates to hang up. Not completely disengaging thus causing your stall. Check the clutch arm and push rod for wear also. Check the fingers on the basket and report back. The year of your bike and hrs on it would help.

I did look at it a couple weeks ago. There are slight grooves but I don't think that is the problem, idk how to inspect the other components you listed

• allryder

Posted April 04, 2016 - 07:15 AM

The "terrible noise" is the rear chain slapping on the swing arm. It's a normal result of lugging the bike.

If the bike pulls while in gear at a standstill, and is difficult to find neutral at an idle, the clutch is failing to release, or disengage completely. The cause of that is usually the steel plates are no longer truly flat. Notches in the clutch basket fingers and/or the clutch boss (hub) can make it worse, as can springs unevenly worn.

this is exactly what is happening I also can't find neutral a lot of times. What is the fix for this

• grayracer513

Posted April 04, 2016 - 09:19 AM

Start with a new set of OEM clutch plates and a set of new springs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • allryder

Posted April 04, 2016 - 09:44 AM

Start with a new set of OEM clutch plates and a set of new springs.

Does it have to be OEM? There is a tusk clutch kit that is around 50$ and OEM is 200$ off motosport

• allryder

Posted April 04, 2016 - 09:45 AM

I don't know how many hours it has, I bought it about a month ago and since I have put around 4-5 hours on it. I have an 06 yz450f

• grayracer513

Posted April 04, 2016 - 09:52 AM

Does it have to be OEM? There is a tusk clutch kit that is around 50$ and OEM is 200$ off motosport

The Tusk plate sets give generally worse results than OEM.  In most cases, it takes about 4 hours of run time to get them to disengage properly (the same problem you're fighting now), and the friction plates expand with heat so much that they require a lot of fiddling with cable adjustments on the fly. 

"The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a low price has passed".  ~Franklin

• allryder

Posted April 04, 2016 - 10:04 AM

The Tusk plate sets give generally worse results than OEM. In most cases, it takes about 4 hours of run time to get them to disengage properly (the same problem you're fighting now), and the friction plates expand with heat so much that they require a lot of fiddling with cable adjustments on the fly.

"The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a low price has passed". ~Franklin

Sounds like I won't be fixing my clutch for a while!

• allryder

Posted April 04, 2016 - 11:44 AM

Are there any higher quality plates than OEM that you recommend

• grayracer513

Posted April 04, 2016 - 12:16 PM

Some that claim to be, and in my experience are usually worth the money, are the Hinson plates.  Barnett, perhaps.  The original Yamaha plates are tough to beat.

• allryder

Posted April 04, 2016 - 01:38 PM

Some that claim to be, and in my experience are usually worth the money, are the Hinson plates. Barnett, perhaps. The original Yamaha plates are tough to beat.

I'm thinking I'll just save up a bit more and get the Hinson clutch kit with the basket too

• Not sponsored

Posted April 04, 2016 - 02:35 PM

I'm thinking I'll just save up a bit more and get the Hinson clutch kit with the basket too

You can file the grooves on the outer clutch basket, it's a temporary fix and the plates will slap back and forth harder than usual eventually breaking the fiber plates. I've gotten a half a race season out of my yz250 back in the day doing that, the 450 will probably not go as long, either way if the clutch and baskets need to be replaced anyway it should buy you some time. I agree with others stock Yamaha clutch is excellent, Hinson would be the only aftermarket on par with it.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.