YZ 450FX set up questions

9 replies to this topic
  • motocrotts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 04:20 PM

Help guys,

So coming from a long line of KTM's I jumped ship and am on Yamaha's.  Never been happier.  Just got the FX last week and have been going through it and setting it up for me.  Got the sparkie on from PMB and now I am working on the linkage greasing, also while in there changing shock spring for 195-200lbs.  Pulled out the manual and it says remove the bottom bolt of the shock and don't let the swingarm fall, then remove the top bolt and lift the shock out.  That's not quite right.  You can't get the top bolt out because it hits the fuel hose on the right side of the bike, not only that the fuel tank is in the way. Ok, no problem, pull the fuel tank.  So off with the shrouds and go to loosen the fuel line and I pop the little clamp off and raise the little orange clamp per the manual and the fuel line will not pop off !  I pulled hard but it will not release, and I don't want to break the spout to the fuel pump.  Not really a problem as the fuel connector swivels and you can do a 180 with the tank and pull the shock out.  However, I'm sure in the future I'll want to remove the tank from the bike.  What I'm I doing wrong to disconnect the fuel line?  Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

• Conner_Steezel

Posted April 02, 2016 - 04:23 PM

I had trouble with the same thing. I just set the tank aside while I removed the shock.

• motocrotts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 04:43 PM

I had trouble with the same thing. I just set the tank aside while I removed the shock.

Great minds think alike.

• RMK800

Posted April 02, 2016 - 04:58 PM

I changed my spring also. No way was I even thinking about un hooking that. Monk posted how to turn the tank to get to the spring, but it would be good to know how to do it for the future.

• BGoyins

Posted April 02, 2016 - 05:05 PM

After you push the orange lock up you have to squeeze both sides of the connector to release the fitting. You are wise in not forcing the issue, but once you see how it releases it's not so bad.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motocrotts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 05:25 PM

After you push the orange lock up you have to squeeze both sides of the connector to release the fitting. You are wise in not forcing the issue, but once you see how it releases it's not so bad.

I will try that.  Any method or clue on getting the electrical off?

• motocrotts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 05:37 PM

Tried squeeze the connector, still a no go.

• BGoyins

Posted April 02, 2016 - 05:57 PM

Just happen to have my tank off. The fuel connector you squeeze where my thumb and finger are... both sides. Then pull the fuel line off. It will fight you if you pull too hard while trying to release it.

The electrical connector you squeeze the tab down where my thumb is. Then pull connector off. Some rocking motion may help it come loose.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1606 - Copy (10).JPG
  • IMG_1605 - Copy (12).JPG

• motocrotts

Posted April 02, 2016 - 07:24 PM

Thanks a bunch. I'll try it again tomorrow. I'll let you know.

• motocrotts

Posted April 03, 2016 - 12:32 PM

Well got the fuel line off, thanks for the great pic. Once you do it you can see where to squeeze and it pops off easily. Still unable to the get the electrical plug to the fuel pump off going by your picture. No important now. Pulled all the linkage and swing arm and glad I did. Not much there as far as grease goes. Got it all back together and will attack the steering head tomorrow.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.