New to TT and to my 05 WR450 have some issues with it already

25 replies to this topic
  • Jturs

Posted April 01, 2016 - 09:43 PM

Well I picked up my first 05 WR450 other day, it ran decent when I got it home but not the best. The previous owner said bike sat for a long time and he had cleaned carb out and put sea foam in it. When at idle the bike is very poppy and crackily when cold and less when hot (sounds really lean). I drained the fuel and put in fresh fuel. It starts up but won't idle unless chokw is on until it's hot and still idles rough. I haven't pulled carb to check jetting but does have grey wire cut, airbox mod, exhaust baffle mod, and soon AIS gone. I don't know crap about these carbs and have been reading for two days on it. But still don't know where to start or where to start with jetting. Inalso notixes the idle ia cranked all the way tight and when in turn it out just a hair it dies. I live in southern AZ (Tucson area) so I'm sure someone has a similar bike to get me in ballpark for jetting. Is there anything else I need to go over or clean.

Anothe topic I'm dealing with once a got bike home and started i noticed coolant leaking. Long story short I need impeller shaft seals and bearing which is already on order. Not happy so far with my first WR purchase but I got faith just need some guidance. Also I will pull plug withncavr tomorrow to see how it looks.

Thanks guys

• beezer

Posted April 02, 2016 - 04:05 AM

I'd replace the pilot jet.  Being the bike is over 10 years old and not running much it's prolly clogged.

You can get at it through the float bowl plug.

If it were mine I'd take the carb completely apart and give it a good cleaning.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 02, 2016 - 08:21 AM

Replace the pilot jet

Do not try and clean it

Ream the passage above the jet with fishing line (#15) or an un-wound guitar string, and spray solvent.

Do not use automtive carb cleaner

Inspect the apump diaphram and passages because they are also probably shot and rotted

Inspect the fuel screw oring for rotting

http://www.dirtrider...r_carb_rebuild/

• Jturs

Posted April 02, 2016 - 09:04 AM

Should I stick with stock pilot jet or should I get new pilot and Main Jet also any recommendations for sizes, I will start pulling the carburetor out today cleaning it.

• Jturs

Posted April 02, 2016 - 09:09 AM

I was thinking starting with a 168 main and a 45 pilot, also what is the deal with the different needle jets. I read blue, red, etc on whichever position. Sorry for newb questions as I said I've read a ton and learned alot from you guys thanks.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 02, 2016 - 10:40 AM

I was thinking starting with a 168 main and a 45 pilot, also what is the deal with the different needle jets. I read blue, red, etc on whichever position. Sorry for newb questions as I said I've read a ton and learned alot from you guys thanks.

READ THE FAQ SECTION in this forum

COPY THE JETTING  thread based on your level of derestriction

The motor is a system; jettting, intake, exhuast.  They all need to be altered together.

Thumbnail:

NCVS 3rd

50 leak

2008 CRF450R apump kit

R&D fuel screw

Remove snorkle

Upgrade muffler

Cut gray wire

Un plug tps

• Jturs

Posted April 02, 2016 - 11:07 AM

Well I have a 48 pilot and a 185 main seems very big. The jets I said in last post I got off a comparable bike in that thread. I can't find one with same elevation and bike mods. That's why I asked. And I don't understand the needle do i need a adjustable one or is mine adjustable

• Jturs

Posted April 02, 2016 - 11:10 AM

Also leak jet is 50 and other jet under main is a 65 notnsur which that is

• Jturs

Posted April 02, 2016 - 12:09 PM

And to add the fuel screw was only out about 3/4 turn

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 02, 2016 - 01:00 PM

There are thousands of threads on these subjects on how to correctly fine tune the motor BASED ON YOUR STATE OF DERESTRICTION, all assuming the internal carb and motor parts are not worn out.

If they are worn out, chasing jetting issues will drive you nuts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jturs

Posted April 02, 2016 - 02:18 PM

Thanks for the help. I will let you know when I get thread 1001 then I will post back. I'm not trying to be a a$$ or start crap but isn't that what forums are for? For people to ask questions and try to get advice and post knowledge of their own. I've read myself retarded on jetting and everything else on this bike for the last 3 days and learned alot so thank you. And Thanks to the ones that replies with info. I will go back to reading the jetting database and rejet it and post my results to see if something else is causing issue.

• DrFeelGood

Posted April 03, 2016 - 05:50 PM

Krannie was just trying to point out that correct use of the search feature will display a plethora of info with a minimal of rehashing.

For instance. Going to the root of the WR450 forum and then clicking the search button (should say 'search this forum') will reveal this when searching 'jetting in Arizona'

http://www.thumperta...h&fromMainBar=1

Krannie's not an a$$, he's a fountain of knowledge.... He's just getting crabby in his elevated post count.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 03, 2016 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for the help. I will let you know when I get thread 1001 then I will post back. I'm not trying to be a a$$ or start crap but isn't that what forums are for? For people to ask questions and try to get advice and post knowledge of their own. I've read myself retarded on jetting and everything else on this bike for the last 3 days and learned alot so thank you. And Thanks to the ones that replies with info. I will go back to reading the jetting database and rejet it and post my results to see if something else is causing issue.

Here's the thing.

Your exact questions have been asked hundreds of times, and at least a dozen threads have been dedicated to the information you desire.

There are about a dozen guys on this forum with knowledge AND time AND the inclination to answer every question. All of them have lives.

The problem is you don't know what the questions are yet. You want answers, but you haven't given out enough information, and no one really wants to take the time to go through a page or two of disccussion on what you've done, what you understand, what you think you want and what you actually want, how serious you are about factual information, how deep do you want to go, and how much beyond that is part of your needs...etc etc.

I could go on for an hour about all the little details about just setting up your bike to run correctly, let alone more peformance in any of a dozen given areas.

But if I spew all that out, you probalby won't care, won't read it all, and just keep on asking for someone else to do all the research work for you....(maybe)...but the answers to your questions are not what you need, yet.

You need more information so you can ask questions that are not as wide as Bus and about as finite....You need to know what you don't know, before you can ask what you need to know.

So, it's up to YOU to read all the FAQ's, read up on your model, get to know what people have been doing, so when someone says.... " no, a 48 pilot jet is not going to solve your lean idle problems, you need to replace the worn parts, put in a real fuel screw, seal up your exhaust leaks, and then come back here and report your results...and THEN see about making changes to the jetting..."

See what I mean ?

There are hundreds (if not thousands) of threads about a 'problem' that gets answered in the first few respones, yet the thread goes on for several pages.

Why? Because the poster did not know what was relevant, did not believe the advice, thought the advice was too 'hard' or 'too complicated' and just 'wanted it fixed'.  

So he asks more questions, takes bad advice, gets mad, starts parts swapping, spends a bunch of time and money needlessly......and my favortie, argues with the experts and will not provide enough accurate info to get any real help.

Your post #7 is kind of an example of that.

Edited by KRANNIE, April 03, 2016 - 06:06 PM.

• michaelg131

Posted April 03, 2016 - 06:51 PM

Ultrasonic cleaner.  Had a carb on a DR350 that sat with varnish for 3 to 5 years.  70/30 water pinesol mix, 6 5 minute heated runs 3 5 minute 100% water heated runs.  With bowl off, choke removed, and top off carb.    http://www.harborfre...aner-95563.html

• Jturs

Posted April 04, 2016 - 04:24 PM

I guess I do understand your points, and I was a little short to jump and gun. And I apologize for my small rant. But thanks for putting it in perspective. And if I'm not giving enough information for my questions please ask me the info needed cause i obviously don't know what that information is. My search skills are not very good either but I will broaden my search and search with more specific key words some I'm not digging for days. Maybe then i will find this information I need to know before I can ask the questions I don't know how to ask.

On another note you do have my apologies I was kinda being a a$$. Especially seeing. If I give a disclaimer than I'm not being a a$$ I probably am being one. Ha-ha

I still haven't got any new jets yet.but the inside of the carb did look pretty clean and not all gummed up as I thought it would be. I'm still waiting on my water pump parts so once I head in town to pick those up I will get the jets and main needle. And aftermarket fuel screw if they have one and of course a few new plugs to check after i re jet.

Edited by Jturs, April 04, 2016 - 04:39 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 04, 2016 - 05:36 PM

I guess I do understand your points, and I was a little short to jump and gun. And I apologize for my small rant. But thanks for putting it in perspective. And if I'm not giving enough information for my questions please ask me the info needed cause i obviously don't know what that information is. My search skills are not very good either but I will broaden my search and search with more specific key words some I'm not digging for days. Maybe then i will find this information I need to know before I can ask the questions I don't know how to ask.

On another note you do have my apologies I was kinda being a a$$. Especially seeing. If I give a disclaimer than I'm not being a a$$ I probably am being one. Ha-ha

I still haven't got any new jets yet.but the inside of the carb did look pretty clean and not all gummed up as I thought it would be. I'm still waiting on my water pump parts so once I head in town to pick those up I will get the jets and main needle. And aftermarket fuel screw if they have one and of course a few new plugs to check after i re jet.

I was a bigger ass than you, no doubt, but I'm a Krabbie, what can I say. 

I think everyone should be as passionate about knowing their bike(s) as I am.

• ftl900

Posted April 05, 2016 - 10:21 AM

plusone.gif

Edited by ftl900, April 05, 2016 - 11:11 AM.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted April 05, 2016 - 10:25 AM

Well I picked up my first 05 WR450 other day, it ran decent when I got it home but not the best. The previous owner said bike sat for a long time and he had cleaned carb out and put sea foam in it. When at idle the bike is very poppy and crackily when cold and less when hot (sounds really lean). I drained the fuel and put in fresh fuel. It starts up but won't idle unless chokw is on until it's hot and still idles rough. I haven't pulled carb to check jetting but does have grey wire cut, airbox mod, exhaust baffle mod, and soon AIS gone. I don't know crap about these carbs and have been reading for two days on it. But still don't know where to start or where to start with jetting. Inalso notixes the idle ia cranked all the way tight and when in turn it out just a hair it dies. I live in southern AZ (Tucson area) so I'm sure someone has a similar bike to get me in ballpark for jetting. Is there anything else I need to go over or clean.

Anothe topic I'm dealing with once a got bike home and started i noticed coolant leaking. Long story short I need impeller shaft seals and bearing which is already on order. Not happy so far with my first WR purchase but I got faith just need some guidance. Also I will pull plug withncavr tomorrow to see how it looks.

Thanks guys

You're getting good advice on the carb stuff.  I hope you take it to heart and follow it... especially the advice about "new" jets.   Buy a couple of spares, or get the JD Jetting kit.  Its a great start.

Regarding the coolant leak...  you should also be replacing the impeller itself.  The shaft gets pitted and rough and will affect its ability to seal.  When you take it all apart you will not feel comfortable to put that same impeller back in there. 

• Jturs

Posted April 05, 2016 - 12:17 PM

I am taking it to heart. I'm just on a tight budget, i went over budget on the bike already so I don't know if a jet kit and adjustable fuel screw is in budget now. I might just have to stick with stock fuel screw and get a fee pilot jets and mains and a needle.

As far as water pump I order the bearin, both seals, and impellar shaft and all other gaskets needed . What goes wrong with the impellar itself? My impellar doesn't appear to have any corrosion.

• Jturs

Posted April 05, 2016 - 12:22 PM

IMG_20160405_131816849.jpg IMG_20160405_132113015.jpg IMG_20160405_132119506.jpg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.