noise from brand new bike help

31 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted July 12, 2016 - 09:26 AM

I've always noticed some clutch noise while idling with the clutch engaged (lever out) and never really worried about it.  However, last ride out on my FX I started to hear the same noise when riding on fire roads connecting trails, specifically when I would let off the gas and let the engine braking do it's thing.  I've never been able to hear the noise while riding before on previous YZ-F's, has anyone else noticed this while riding as well?

• hondaman331

Posted July 12, 2016 - 10:49 AM

I've always noticed some clutch noise while idling with the clutch engaged (lever out) and never really worried about it. However, last ride out on my FX I started to hear the same noise when riding on fire roads connecting trails, specifically when I would let off the gas and let the engine braking do it's thing. I've never been able to hear the noise while riding before on previous YZ-F's, has anyone else noticed this while riding as well?

yes. 2016 yz450f. Sounds like bad bushing or bearings....but it's not

• grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2016 - 03:29 PM

I've always noticed some clutch noise while idling with the clutch engaged (lever out) and never really worried about it.  However, last ride out on my FX I started to hear the same noise when riding on fire roads connecting trails, specifically when I would let off the gas and let the engine braking do it's thing.  I've never been able to hear the noise while riding before on previous YZ-F's, has anyone else noticed this while riding as well?

You're sure it's not the chain dragging on the top of the swing arm?

• hondaman331

Posted July 13, 2016 - 02:17 AM

it makes the noise at a dead stop, on a stand, just sitting there at idle. Did it since the first day.

• grayracer513

Posted July 13, 2016 - 06:10 AM

My question was directed to Cowboyona426, who stated his bike made noise while moving.  See the text I quoted?

• cowboyona426

Posted July 13, 2016 - 07:30 AM

I suppose it's possible, but it sounds exactly like the noise the clutch makes when idling in neutral.  I may pop the clutch cover off just to take a peek and make sure all is well in there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hondaman331

Posted July 13, 2016 - 03:11 PM

I suppose it's possible, but it sounds exactly like the noise the clutch makes when idling in neutral. I may pop the clutch cover off just to take a peek and make sure all is well in there.

mine makes it slightly at low rpm riding. From what I have heard from locals everybody knows what you are talking about. I'm not seeing metal of any sort in my oil, I'm changing every three hours with amsoil 0w-40 power sports 4 stroke synthetic. If it was anything I would have found something by now, I'm almost 20 hours in.

• cowboyona426

Posted July 14, 2016 - 02:34 PM

I was pondering this last night as my brain refused to shut down and go to sleep, I can remember a few times during the last ride hearing the sound I described while riding on fire roads, and it went away if I pulled in the clutch.

• mxrider4life847

Posted July 14, 2016 - 03:55 PM

My new bike (450FX) makes the same noise. And for reference, my YZ250 2T made the same noise as well. I bought it brand new 11 years ago and it always made it. Right up until I removed the factory clutch and installed the rekluse, no more noise. I think it's just nature of the beast. I always wondered, and it used to bother me. But I got over it. Oil always looked decent and never saw any metal particles.

That 450FX has a lot of moving parts and it sure makes a lot of noises I'm not accustomed to.

• Edge316

Posted July 14, 2016 - 04:08 PM

I was pondering this last night as my brain refused to shut down and go to sleep, I can remember a few times during the last ride hearing the sound I described while riding on fire roads, and it went away if I pulled in the clutch.

Paranoia Will Destroy Ya!!!!

• craig.murray

Posted July 14, 2016 - 09:08 PM

unrapped my brand new 14 450 f has the same noise seems typical to every yz 450 ive ridden especially if the oil isnt constantly changed

• jkimmel

Posted July 21, 2016 - 10:40 AM

2007 YZ 450F here, same noise. Always has always will!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.