YZ/WR400 Camshaft Cap Interchangeable?

Yamaha WR400F 1999

3 replies to this topic
  • JohnClaude

Posted March 31, 2016 - 05:08 PM

Hi Guys,

I stripped the thread that holds the valve cover onto the exhaust camshaft cap, and purchased a exhaust camshaft cap from a YZ400. The only difference is that the YZ cap is missing that tab that the WR camshaft cap has. Do you think it will be alright to use the YZ one even though it doesn't have the tab on the side? Let me know.

Thanks,

John

IMG_1163_zpshr5pyqd4.jpg

• toten

Posted March 31, 2016 - 05:21 PM

Cam caps are typically align bored and you can't expect a random cap's bore to line up. You're better off using a timesert or similar than risking trashing the head/cam.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GuyGraham

Posted March 31, 2016 - 09:31 PM

As said above the cap is bored with head and is therefore matched to that head.
This is why the cam caps are not sold on their own by Yamaha
Get the the thread repaired with a helicoil or timesert. Timesert is the better of the two types

Edited by GuyGraham, March 31, 2016 - 09:32 PM.

• JohnClaude

Posted April 01, 2016 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yeah that's a good call guys. I didn't even think about that-I was searching the parts fiche and couldn't find the number. I'm getting it helicoiled tomorrow. Thanks again.

-John

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha WR400F 1999 by ThumperTalk

Yamaha WR400F 1999
  • * * * * -
  • 16 reviews
  • Last review by SprytnySpawacz
  • On August 25, 2016
Forums
Photo

Kickstarter Noise by JohnClaude

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Yamaha by Tobyperkins17

• 10 replies
Forums
Photo

1999 WR400F-Good Deal? by JohnClaude

• 11 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.