XR600 engine life?

5 replies to this topic
  • 600ish

Posted March 08, 2004 - 05:37 PM

I recently bought a '94 XR600 with a stock RFVC engine, and I was wondering what kind of life I can expect to get out of an engine this old assuming it was taken care of, as it appears to be, since the bike is in great shape, and of course I have no idea what kind of miles/hours it has on it. I know this is a tough question to answer, but I always hear about how strong and reliable Honda engines are and I've heard nothing but good things about this engine. Also, what would a complete rebuild on this engine cost? And can anyone recommend a good rebiulder or engine shop?

• smashinz2002

Posted March 08, 2004 - 06:46 PM

It's kind of hard to answer a question about engine life expectancy for a bike with unknown hours, unknown care, and unknown usage (such as racing).
I would say if it has good, strong compression, and doesn't use much oil or smoke, or make any funny noises, then it should last a few more years if you maintain it properly.
A friend of mine has an '86 XR600 which he bought a few years ago, and it's still running strong with no problems at all. So who knows man, it could last you a good while.
Honestly I have no idea how much a rebuild on your bike would cost, but I'm sure some of the other guys in here do know.

• crf250_rider

Posted March 09, 2004 - 09:38 AM

yeah i bought 2 years ago a 91 xr600r and it was raced twice by its original owner in the baja 500 and the bika has a white brothers cam i think ..and it runs like a bat out of hell

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Terrain Rider 4z

Posted March 10, 2004 - 05:00 PM

I am pushing 25 K on my 93 and it still runs very well. Probably lost some compression, but gets around great still. I do change the oil and filter every 200 miles or less and use a quality motorcycle oil (20W50).

• XrFreakXr

Posted March 10, 2004 - 05:30 PM

I have an 85 and a 93. They run great and are very dependable. If the bike wasn't mistreated you can expect many many more years of enjoyment. :)

• RidesRed

Posted March 10, 2004 - 06:20 PM

For rebuild costs, parts, service, etc. go to xr's only website. They have a list of labor and parts prices. As for engine life, it seems you have pretty much heard the bottom line... excellent reliability and longevity. Change the oil often, as the aircooled motor really works the oil.

Related Content

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  41 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.