OEM or Aftermarket R/R?

8 replies to this topic
  • DESERTJUL

Posted March 30, 2016 - 09:38 AM

I think I may need to replace my  rectifier/regulator. Haven't had a chance to put a meter on the system yet but symptoms are indicating likely. My question is whether its worth spending less money on an aftermarket and what ones are the best or should I spend the extra nickles on an OEM?

• DESERTJUL

Posted March 31, 2016 - 10:51 AM

No opinions on aftermarket makers of R/Rs?

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted April 01, 2016 - 01:12 AM

You do not have a lot of options for a drop-in aftermarket replacement for the OEM regulator.
If your electrical system is stock Yamaha you pretty much have to use their regulator.

What aftermarket regulator are you looking at? Most aftermarket regulators are designed for
use with aftermarket stator and are not compatible with the stock Yamaha stator.

• stevethe

Posted April 01, 2016 - 05:10 AM

The stock ones usually don't go bad. Making them worth there weight in gold.

Most aftermarket stuff is made in China I believe.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DESERTJUL

Posted April 03, 2016 - 10:55 AM

Thats pretty much what I figured. Thanks.

• ftl900

Posted April 05, 2016 - 10:16 AM

If it's not MOSFET, then it's old school.  Read this, written by someone much smarter than I.

http://www.superhawk...-why-how-25117/

After reading it, I bought 2 MOSFET units on ebay off of 2005 ZX10's and put one on my VFR800 and the other on my Superhawk.  

I don't anticipate ever having to mess with those again.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted April 06, 2016 - 04:12 AM

If it's not MOSFET, then it's old school.  Read this, written by someone much smarter than I.

http://www.superhawk...-why-how-25117/

After reading it, I bought 2 MOSFET units on ebay off of 2005 ZX10's and put one on my VFR800 and the other on my Superhawk.  
I don't anticipate ever having to mess with those again.

Yes no question the MOSFET units are better, but they are designed for road bikes with three phase alternators.

Good luck adapting that to the stock Yamaha stator on the WRs...

• ftl900

Posted April 06, 2016 - 08:38 AM

Thanks, it must be time for me to learn more.

• DESERTJUL

Posted April 08, 2016 - 07:51 AM

Thanks, it must be time for me to learn more.

lol Thanks for trying to help out anyway ;)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.